Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 20-10-20, 12:50
Administrator

The burial records from 1744-1763 are really easy to read, no glaring gaps and no impossible to work out entries. Of course that doesn't mean there are no missing entries!

After 1763 the handwriting goes downhill so I had to slow down! Again no obvious gaps and whilst the handwriting is more difficult, there are a lot less instances of people not being fully described (such as Widow Smith or the child of Mr Parker). Having said that there's the very occasional use of Mr X or Mrs Y with no first name. On 8th Aug 1774 there's an entry that looks like it says Mr Grout:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...946661%2f00144

If this was a man and someone worthy of being described as Mr I hoped there might be a will for him, but of course there doesn't seem to be! Could be a slip of the pen - maybe the vicar couldn't remember her first name (being a more unusual name) and meant to write Mrs Grout! Of course we shall probably never know. We might need someone to go to the churchyard with a trowel and see if Dinah's stone has fallen flat next to Philip's and perhaps has been covered by the grass

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-10-20, 04:09

I was going to show you a photo of myself at the graves of James and Mary Grout in the front row at Braughing Churchyard. I didnt have any references so they were the only Grout graves I could find that day but I was happy to find them.
Old 21-10-20, 06:21

This could be a long post - Wills. I took a subscription with Essex Records Online and focused on the following 4 Wills, not all of which I have read in full yet as they are very hard on the eyes. Chronologically they are -
5 July 1717 John Grout of Braughing Butcher, death unknown so far. Beneficaries are grandchildren John, Elizabeth and Ann, children of his DAUGHTER Elizabeth who is wife of Thomas? Baker and another Elizabeth, daughter of his SON John. No mention of wife. Executor Thomas Baker (son in law?)
12 Dec 1717 Philip Grout of Braughing Collarmaker Death? Mentions wife Ann, sons Philip, James and William (Very difficult to read - need more time to check)
8 Jan 1720 John Grout of Standon Husbandman Mentions wife Alice? sons John, Thomas and Richard, daughter Mary (Might not be connected but Standon is nearby to Braughing and Puckeridge)
30 May 1733 James Grout of Puckeridge Collarmaker Mentions Mother Ann, still alive in 1733 Brothers Thomas and Philip (Executor) Sisters Ann and Susanna. No wife, no children?? Will proved 27 Sep 1733 so death between May and Sept 1733

Havent yet worked out how or if any of these connect - need to draw some diagrams. The siblings mentioned in James' will might all be children born in 1680,s putting them in their 50's - not that old. Off to the whiteboard..... Jenny
Old 21-10-20, 07:48
Administrator

Oooh, well, not quite what I predicted, but then that's pretty normal!!

Lol re the photo!! I have one of my children at the grave of their 5x great-grandparents, John and Mary Smith, in Braughing churchyard. It took my 25 years to get from thir son to them and I still haven't got any further back!

It is pouring with rain here all day today and I'm going nowhere because of coronavirus, so if you want any help with trying to transcribe anything I'm very willing to try and help, but, as you see, I do nave a tendency to take over, so I completely understand if you would rather work on it yourself.

I'm really glad you got all the wills. I'm sure they will help in the end!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-10-20, 10:07

Would Philip Grout buried Braughing 24 July 1716 be the same person as Philip Grout Will proved 12 Dec 1717? Would a Will and estate take that long to process??
Old 21-10-20, 10:14

That's quite normal. It can take a lot longer before a will is proved.
Old 21-10-20, 10:24

I'm trying to connect James d 1733 as son of Philip d 1716/7 He has brothers Thomas and Philip and sisters Ann and Susanna still alive in 1733 - and Mother Ann.
Philip who died 1716 m. Ann and had sons James, Philip, Joseph and Benjamin (d.1728) but no daughters mentioned in will written in 1698. I'm not getting much success looking for baptisms on FMP so I can't quite make the connections....
Thanks for offer to transcribe, would love to send you one but how do I get it to you? Thanks but I'll leave it for now. Off to sleep again and need to rest my eyes.

Last edited by Jenthec; 21-10-20 at 10:50.
Old 21-10-20, 10:42
Administrator

I'll pm you my email addy