Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-10-20, 18:14
Administrator

Haha !! That's what comes of copy/paste - I didn't even read it past the baptism detail.

Have to think again then - however it's still pretty possible that George and William were brothers.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-10-20, 18:45

They are probably cousins of that William (and also young George)
Old 05-10-20, 19:20
Administrator

Yep, very likely.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-10-20, 19:25

Thanks for all of your replies.

I will have a read over all of your comments and get back to you,
Really appreciate you all taking the time to look,

Old 05-10-20, 19:42

I was working on this spreadsheet last year trying to group the Gibbs families in Hungerford. I have the initial 11 families that I could find, I should imagine that the ones that were mentioned by someone in this post should fit in there somewhere. I will get back to you all as it's a lot to take in!

Here is the spreadsheet incase anyone is interested. It took hours.!

https://gofile.io/d/ov6fPY

Last edited by southukgibbs; 05-10-20 at 20:33.
Old 05-10-20, 20:00
Administrator

Frustrating:

Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette 03 February 1825

The shop of Mr. Gibbs, draper and tailor of Hungerford, was broken into during the night of Friday last, and robbed of 2 pieces of woollen cord, some ready-made clothes and other articles. On the following day, a man named Hughes was detected offering some of the goods to a pawnbroker at Newbury. He was apprehended and committed for examination.

This could perhaps be the father or uncle of George Gibbs, but his first name is not included!

lol and this I found another very more detailed report about the same incident:

Berkshire Chronicle 19 February 1825

The article includes a list of stolen goods and an offer of a reward of one guinnea for information.

And whilst I haven't the energy to type it all out with two fingers, Mr Gibbs has a first name in this article and it's John! *sigh* lol

Old 05-10-20, 20:17
Administrator

I've not looked at that spreadsheet yet!

Just to finish the tale about the burglary of John Gibbs' shop...

here:

Hampshire Telegraph 14 March 1825

Richard Hughes is convicted of the theft and it is mentioned he had been sentenced to hang four years earlier, but had been pardoned!

Old 05-10-20, 23:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Might this be the younger George:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rce&pId=985844

He's a carter, born Lambourn, living in Dulwich in 1851 with his family.
Hi,
Yes, there were 2 George's born in Lambourn around the same time, they were cousins. One moved to london (born 1815) and had a family (the one you refered to) and the other George I found no further records/census for, another reason it made it possible that it could be my George with a different age..
I did a tree for them both here:

https://ibb.co/kcgzXxK

Old 06-10-20, 09:43

I think you really need (as soon as they are open) to get to a record office and see original images. There is so much they can tell you that transcriptions, however good, omit.
Your George, for example, as a tradesman could probably write, so you might be able to compare examples of his signature. There may be entries that every transcriber has made a hash of, but you can read. Or dates could be wrong. Wills, particularly maiden aunts, might mention him. Or copies of leases. If other familymembers fell on hard times, poor law records might provide details of families. If he was a tradesman, his family may have been nonconformist and his baptism may not have been recorded as Hungerford but wherever the minister was.
Old 05-08-23, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
John and Ann had a son named William, bap in 1807. He remained in Hungerford (on the census through to 1881 and died in 1885) and his occ was also tailor.

Name: William Gibbs
Baptism Date: 24 May 1807
Baptism Place: Hungerford,Berkshire,England
Death Date: 28 Feb 1808 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<EDIT you will see I didn't notice this burial detail, but Phoenix pointed it out in a later post!
Father: John Gibbs
Mother: Ann

William married in 1832 in Hungerford, a few weeks before George married Mary Harris. Here's the transcript of the marriage entry from the same site kiterunner mentioned in post #5:

22-Oct-1832 William Gibbs Hungerford m Mary Smith Hungerford Banns Witnesses, John Bird, Mary Harris and Jane Smith

So, is Mary Harris, the witness, the same Mary who would mary George Gibbs in a few weeks?!! Might George and William be brothers? (Jane Smith is probably a sister of the bride as there is a Jane Smith living with William and Mary Gibbs on one of the census returns and she is described as sister-in-law to William.)

Also there's an Ann Smith as a witness to the marriage of Mary Harris and George Gibbs (post #5 above) who could be something to do with Mary Smith's family.
Hi, You were spot on with this I think. And hello to everyone else,

Basically, after taking a break and then coming back and looking at it again. The first thing that stood out was Mary Harris (Georges wife) being listed on William Gibbs' marriage certificate. I'm pretty confident that William Gibbs b abt 1807 in Hungerford is Georges Brother. That is a different William to the one mentioned above that died in 1808. This William died in 1885. He is listed in the 1841,51,61,71 and 81 census and was also a tailor, the same as George, another reason I believe that they are most likely brothers. William lived in Hungerford for his whole life by the looks of it, had one Son who went on to be a Tailor and he had no children as far as I could see.

So where does this leave me...

George Gibbs b.1809 Hungerford d.1888 Marlborough
William Gibbs b.1807 Hungerford d.1885 Hungerford

I found this from
https://www.hungerfordvirtualmuseum....0&amp;catid=23

From Trade Directories (addresses not yet known):
1830 Pigot Dir:
Joseph Read, saddler and harness maker, Charnham Street.
Thomas Attlee, shopkeeper, Charnham Street.
John Osmond, shopkeeper, Charnham Street.
Mary Poore, shopkeeper, Charnham Street.
John Gibbs, tailor, Charnham Street. William and Georges father? He's also a tailor..this is the John Gibbs that you linked the newspaper articles to
William Anning, tanner, Charnham Street.

1841 census: (This census appears to be in "random" order in parts
James Jupp (30), tamper, wife Mary (30), 1 son, 5 daughters
Thomas Sprules (58), pianoforte maker, wife Marha (50).
William Burtt (50) innkeeper (at The Bear) etc
George Fisher (45), postboy
Harriett Moulding (50), inn keeper (The White Hart) etc
William Toms (25), tanner and ?brewer?, wife Joanna (25), 1 son, 2 daughters, 1 lodger, 5 servants.
John Adnams (25), buildre, wife Elizabeth (25), 1 son, 1 daughter.
Mary Smith (25), 1 sister, 1 servant, 1 lodger.
John Dredge (40), auctioneer, wife Sophia (36), 1 son, 1 servant.
William Gibbs (30), tailor, wife Mary (30), 1 son. (Georges Brother)
Sophia Faulknor (71), independent, 1 servant.
John Osmond (50), pork butcher, wife Sarah (50), 1 daughter
Richard Gibbons (50), iron founder, wife Mary (55), 3 sons, 3 daughters.
Francis Gaiger (50), inn keeper (The Red Lion), qv.
Ann Clerk (50), 2 sons, 1 daughter, 2 lodgers (one with 5 children!)
The Lodging House: John Gibbs (55), wife Ann, 21 lodgers. Coincidence that a Gibbs who is the right age to be his father is just a few lines down in the census from him? Could this be William and Georges parents? However he isn't listed as a tailor here, seems to run a lodging house, so im unsure if its the same John Gibbs listed in the 1930 one above.
Thomas Toe (40), publican (The Lamb), wife Jane (40), 1 daughter, 1 sister, 1 servant, 6 lodgers

This has given me something to work with. Although still struggling to find anything else...for now maybe i need a 3 year break again

Last edited by southukgibbs; 05-08-23 at 00:51.