Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-10-13, 16:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
(are we still looking for his will??)
Yes, we are.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-10-13, 17:02
Administrator

*hits another brick wall*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-13, 17:13

Quote:
When is a child an infant?
Infant comes from a Latin word meaning 'unable to speak'.
Old 19-10-13, 17:16
Administrator

lol Shona! I meant legally, but as Kate pointed out they might be separating children already born from those who were not, then my question is irrelevant!

Not that it's helped with George Dixon (*wonders if he's related to the policeman?* )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-10-13, 20:14

Good morning again....

You all seem to be able to conjure up these records and make them make sense.......lol. I look at them and go glassy eyed.

I wouldn't worry about distance here too much. The Dixons (from a descendant so not sure how true) apparently came from Grassmere. The Kirkbys were from around there as well. I will grab my notes from under all these wills I had out last night.

I wonder if "infant" meant an unborn child. There seemed to be quite a lot of "abortive" children in the Hawkshead register.
Old 19-10-13, 20:25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post

I wonder if "infant" meant an unborn child. There seemed to be quite a lot of "abortive" children in the Hawkshead register.

That can't be right - they know the sex of one and there are plural infants in some families!!

Old 19-10-13, 20:40

I am fairly sure that infants in the legal connection means minors and refers to Miles and A, who would both be under age at the time.

Miles seems to have had a single sister when he died. There could have been other siblings who predeceased him without issue, of course.
Old 19-10-13, 21:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I am fairly sure that infants in the legal connection means minors and refers to Miles and A, who would both be under age at the time.
But if you look at the bit about George Walker's children, there are several named, and then one unnamed infant.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-10-13, 11:08
Administrator

Quote:
Libby, maybe you should just plunge in with a couple of (or more) wills and try to piece together some of the earlier Sawreys - it might be easier to come forward rather then keeping on trying to go backwards!
I don't know if have these already, but might it be possible to sort out any of the earlier Sawreys from these records:

THE WILL OF MILES SAWREY OF THE WATERHEAD, CO. LANC. 1613.

AUGUST 24, 1613. MYLES SAWREY of the Watter-head, to be buried in the church of Haukeshead. To myn elder son William Sawrey my tenement at the Watterhead. To my son Henry the ground I have bought and taken in ffarre Coniston and in this parish. Son in law George Holme ; two sons executors. Supervisors, my well beloved in Christ Mr. Edwyn Sands, my brother Henry Sawrey, my cossin Myles Sawrey, and my sonne in lawe Robert Jopson.

[Proved at York, 4 November, 1613.]

THE WILL OF ANTHONY SAWREY, OF PLUMPTON, CO. LANG. 1624.

JANUARY 28, 1622-3. ANTHONIE SAWREY of Plumpton. To be buried in the chancell of Ulverston, where my father and grandfather were buried. My lands in Plumpton which I bought of Thomas Hutton, to trustees. My sons and daughters, wife Alice, and son Myles Sawrey, executors. Supervisors, my brother Mr. Preston of Holker, my brother Mr. William Farington of Wearden, and my cousin Mr. Myles Doding of Conishead.

[Proved at Richmond, 30 January, 1623-4.]

THE WILL OF WILLIAM SAWREY OF WATERHEAD, CO. LANC. 1632.

MARCH 13, 1631-2. WILLIAM SAWREY of Waterhead, bailife. To be buried in the church of Hawkeshead. My lands at Waterhead to Barbara my wife, for life. To Anthony, son and heire of William Sawrey, and his heirs, a parcell of land called Robert Wrey. My lands at Waterhead, &c., to William, son of my brother Henry Sawrey, and his heirs, in fee. Brothers in law Richard Hodgson and David Tyson, my sister Annes two daughters, my sister Jopson, kinsman William Sawrey, of Cohlthouse.

[Proved at Richmond, 1632.]

THE WILL OF BARBARA SAWREY, WIDOW OF WILLIAM SAWREY OF WATERHEAD, CO. LANC. 1642.

APRIL 27, 1636. BARBARY SAWREY, late wife of William Sawrey of Waterhead, 1 widdow. To be buried in the church of Hauxhead. To the poor of Hauxhead ;io. To the children of William Sawrey, now elder, of Waterhead, $. To the children of Myles Sawrey his brother, 5. To the children of Anthony Sawrey their brother, of Hollin banke, $. To the children of William Sawrey, son of Myles Sawrey, 40^. To William Sawrey, son of Francis Sawrey, John his brother, and Elizabeth their sister, ^"3. To Anthony Sawrey of Coulthouse, and Mabell his wife, 4. To the three sons of my brother James James, William, and George, <). Sister Isabel Harrison, brother James Braithwaite.

[Proved at Richmond, 2 September, 1642.]

Old 20-10-13, 11:48

The Myles Sawrey 1613 was the great grandfather of Thomas Holme, the Surveyor General of Pennsylvania.

There's a fair bit about them all in Google Books.

It's just a case of connecting which person was the next one back after Anthony.

I will email for a quote for those wills Merry....that's what I have to do apparently.