Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-07-20, 07:30
Administrator

I'm assuming you are hoping William Walker, Richard Barrett's step-father, is your William, son of Richard and Ellen Walker mantioned earlier in this thread?

You are going to need to either find a marriage for this William to see who he names as his father, or eliminate William Walker baptised in Wigan in 1821, son of John and Elizabeth, as these two Williams are too close in age for comfort!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-07-20, 07:32

thank you as always the Star great work as usual . . Family search doesn't show the full census .so ancestry is streets ahead on that count .
Old 14-07-20, 07:40
Administrator

No marriage showing up on Lancs BMD 1854-1861.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-07-20, 07:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
thank you as always the Star great work as usual . . Family search doesn't show the full census .so ancestry is streets ahead on that count .
That's why you need to learn other methods if you don't have access to the page. For instance, if you use FreeBMD and search Richard Ba*t in Wigan for 1850-1851 there is only the one birth registration and that is the one I posted here earlier. Birth registrations are less likely to have errors than census records (think about how the information is collected and recorded), so once you know his name is likely to be a speling of Barrett and not a spelling of Barnett you have a better chance of finding him on the earlier census on Family Search which I know doesn't always like to give you all the variables!

Old 14-07-20, 08:44

thanks merry will search using variable names.
Old 14-07-20, 09:18

hi I thought i'd search the 1851 for richard Barrett when he was still alive . two came up One west yorkshire and the other living in Liverpool . A lot of irish people moved over to liverpool Sex Age Birthplace
Richard Barrett Head Male 36 Ireland
Mary Barrett Wife Female 30 Ireland
James Barrett Son Male 9 Wigan, Lancashire
Elizabeth Barrett Daughter Female 6 Liverpool, Lancashire
Thomas Barrett Son Male 4 Liverpool, Lancashire
Patrick Barrett Son Male the birth dates don't seem to tally , but there's one child born in wigan .
Old 14-07-20, 12:46
Administrator

I posted the spelling used and the ages of the parents in post #60:

Quote:
In 1851 he is recorded as Richard Barrat aged 4 months b Wigan. Mother Mary Barrat is 32 b Ireland which matches with Mrs Walker in 1861. Richard's father is Richard Barrat aged 40.
They were living at Castle Yard, Wigan.

Old 14-07-20, 15:20

I checked the 1841 census ther is a group of eleven people mostly irish , living in Bradshaw gate wigan . Richard barrat and mary are their with a child James doesn't give age of child . So i presume the child's only a few months old .
Old 14-07-20, 15:37
Administrator

Surely, given the 1851 family have children Thomas 14, Michael 10 and John 8 all born in Ireland, they are going to be in Ireland in 1841?

James (the son in the other family in 1841) is aged 2 months.

Old 14-07-20, 15:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
I checked the 1841 census ther is a group of eleven people mostly irish , living in Bradshaw gate wigan . Richard barrat and mary are their with a child James doesn't give age of child . So i presume the child's only a few months old .
In post #66 you actually mention this family in the 1851 census - they are the family in Liverpool!