Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 16-10-17, 18:54

Default Benjamin Faux baptism

I'm trying to find the baptism of Benjamin Faux to confirm who his parents were.

In 1841 he was 55 and living in Packenham, Suffolk, not born in county. He died in Suffolk in 1847 age 65 - so born about 1782.

There are lots of online Faux trees, some with him born 1782 in Thetford, Norfolk, but no-one seems to have the actual baptism. Nothing on FMP or Ancestry so I've been looking on Familysearch, but I haven't needed to look at the Norfolk records before and I'm struggling to find my way around.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
Old 16-10-17, 21:31
Administrator

I looked at the images of the archdeacon's transcripts for St Cuthbert's Thetford on Family Search. There was a gap in the images (or lost/damaged pages etc) from March 1781 to August 1785.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 16-10-17, 22:26
Administrator

Yes, with Norfolk church records on FamilySearch, you have 3 different databases to browse:
Parish Registers
Bishop's Transcripts
Archdeacon's Transcripts

You usually find that there is a run of several years of AT's and then a year of BT's, then back to the AT's. But of course some years are missing from both. And I don't think FamilySearch has fully indexed the PR's, AT's or BT's yet, so you do need to browse to be sure.

1783-4 is in the BT's rather than AT's. Here are the St Peter's Thetford BT's for that year but no Benjamin Faux:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...601&cc=1823613
Image no 211.

It can be a slow process browsing through because you have to find the right image for the parish you want (they are in alphabetical order on the film but you can't just select the one you want.)

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-10-17, 22:31
Administrator

And here are the Thetford St Mary baptisms in the PR's for 1782:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...501&cc=1416598
(Image no 50)

You can browse forwards and back from there to look for him.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 17-10-17, 06:00
Administrator

Thanks Kate. I've never looked at Norfolk before. I don't think they make it very clear what record are available. I just clicked on Thetford and then on the only database that appeared. I assumed that was the only one available.

EDIT - I've just realised that's because I sourced the FS records from another site and it was their link that took me straight to the ATs .

I would imagine this Benjamin has been linked (by other Ancestry tree owners) to Thomas Faux of Thetford because the names Benjamin and Gregory (in particular) featuring a few times in that line.

It looks like a few of them made wills which might help you:

http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/...nroprobate.htm

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-10-17, 09:47

Some post 1800 Faux wills available here:

http://www.norfolksources.norfolk.go...veNS/index.htm
Old 17-10-17, 10:18

One of the trees has Benjamin as the son of Gregory FAUX & Bridget BURRELL which is possible as he names a son Burrell. They have an exact date for the marriage at Thetford St Peter which isn't online. They also have exact dates for some of the baptisms & as Gregory left a will, perhaps the other names came from that. Would be worth getting or at least contacting that person.

Only worrying fact, from the supposed birth year of Bridget, she'd have been in her 40s & 50s when she had the children but I think it's likely an error by someone giving the wrong age when she died.
Old 17-10-17, 10:39

I have a Faux or two in my tree - aka FOX! It might be worth looking for that too.
Old 17-10-17, 19:04

Thanks, everyone. I haven't needed to look at Norfolk before, and I was struggling to find my way round Familysearch. I'll have a trawl through the links provided to see if I can spot him.

There's a lot of Faux info online, including some DNA results and a 95 page pdf going back to the 1300s, but some people have gone for Thomas as his father and some for Gregory. Unfortunately all lines seem to name children Gregory, Benjamin etc so it's hard to disentangle them - not to mention the number of ways Faux can be spelt!
Old 17-10-17, 19:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakum Picker View Post
One of the trees has Benjamin as the son of Gregory FAUX & Bridget BURRELL which is possible as he names a son Burrell. They have an exact date for the marriage at Thetford St Peter which isn't online. They also have exact dates for some of the baptisms & as Gregory left a will, perhaps the other names came from that. Would be worth getting or at least contacting that person.

Only worrying fact, from the supposed birth year of Bridget, she'd have been in her 40s & 50s when she had the children but I think it's likely an error by someone giving the wrong age when she died.
I also liked the look of Gregory and Bridget for Benjamin's parents as Benjamin names a son Burrell, but was put off by Bridget's apparent age, the fact that he calls his eldest son Thomas not Gregory and doesn't have a daughter Bridget. I'll take another look at them, though, because they're undoubtedly connected.