Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 02-09-17, 13:33

Exclamation Please help me find my relative

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me please.
I am looking for a name removed according to my mums birth certificate he was a merchant seaman. He signed my mums birth certificate name removed.
Unfortunately everything else is a bit vague. We don't know his date of birth we were originally told that name removed was about 10 years my Nans senior, then we were told he was about the same age...
We were also told he was from County Cork Ireland and had a friend called name removed... however nothing to confirm this...
We know that he was living around Smithdown Road in Liverpool and then lived in Southdene Kirkby this was all in the time from around 1963-1968.
He was with a girl called Marie (who was born a Fivelsdal, her step dad was Hayes, then she Married a Smith-Hardie) Back to name removed - they were known as Marie and Mac.
He had two daughters with my Nan one was born in August 1964 (Rose M) and the other November 1965 (Christine) as well as twin boys that were born in January 1968

Any information at all no matter how bad would be appreciated
Or if anyone know how I can find out a date of birth that would help too
Thank you so very much.

I am not very technical if you can help and need anymore information please email me [email protected] or find me on Facebook Marie Briercliffe
There is a photo on my fb page and it's set to public it was taken approximately 1967

Last edited by kiterunner; 02-09-17 at 21:54. Reason: Reinstated names of those who have consented
Old 02-09-17, 14:23

I am so confused by all these identical threads.
Old 02-09-17, 14:50
Administrator

Briercliffe - All your other threads have been deleted as we don't give details of potentially living people on this site without their permission (that is, people born since 1917).

If you want to give details of the births for the children of your grandmother and TM then you could post up the registration details without the names as we could find them from that information.

I am going to leave this thread up but with the living people's names removed.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-17, 15:01
Administrator

OK, so now I've done that I can concentrate on actual facts.

Firstly, could you let us know whether your grandmother is dec'd. If not, then do you have her permission to post info about her and do you have the permission of her children to post about them?

Can I confirm that your grandmother was born in 1942 in Liverpool and married in 1959?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 02-09-17, 16:25
Administrator

Mary Marie Smith-Hardie, died in 2006.
Why was TM "with a girl Marie" when surely that's your grandmother?? *goes for a lie down*

Old 02-09-17, 17:15
Administrator

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C10990834

These CRS 10s give personal details of each seaman; the front page of the service entries includes:

name;
date of birth;
place of birth;
discharge A number;
rank or rating, with relevant certificate details;
details of any other qualifications;
date CRS 10 first page was created;

But how many with the same name might there be?

Old 02-09-17, 17:36
Administrator

In 1969 did your grandmother re-marry the man she originally married in 1959? Presumably she was divorced in between? If the man you are trying to find out about was named as the co-respondent in the divorce then have you checked that no one in the family has the divorce papers in case there is information about him there?

Old 02-09-17, 20:19

Hello sorry
Two toddlers husband at work all day
Long day to say the least

My nan is Mary Marie smith Hardie born 1942
She married my step grandfather David twice yes a divorce in between

Name removed is my mums real dad but we have no info on him
My nan died in Dec 2006

Everyone mentioned in my post is actively searching for Name removed and has consent I have also advised the admin of this now sorry I am new and have no idea what I am doing

My nan was called Mary but known as Marie
She was born a fivelsdal

I thank you so much for your help I will look at the link now
But as we have so little information I am unsure I will find anything...

Last edited by kiterunner; 02-09-17 at 21:50. Reason: name removed in case still living
Old 02-09-17, 20:26

Unfortunately it doesn't matter who I ask

NO ONE seems to know ANYTHING everything this side is VERY VERY vague!
There's no documents anywhere to be found and no one can tell us anything more than what we already know

It really is an enigma

Do you know if it's possible to see divorce papers? I really have no idea where to start

Thank you again for your help
It's really appreciated xx
Old 02-09-17, 20:42
Administrator

So your step-grandfather is still living? Have you spoken to him about this whole situation or is it difficult? He would presumably know whether TM was cited in his divorce from your grandmother. I have my divorce papers and my husband has his (two lots lol!). Most people would keep them, so do you know if your step-grandfather has his?

Surely it has to be worth at least investigating the Merchant Navy records at the National Archives?

Do you know when the relationship between TM and Mary Maria ended and why?