Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 14-05-12, 09:05

I have booked to go to York tomorrow (Tues 15th). I had three look ups Janet had asked me to do, but I don't know if they are still relevant, or if anything else needs adding to the list.
Old 14-05-12, 09:17
Administrator

Linda, would it be cheeky of me to ask what the three lookups are?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-05-12, 13:20

Cheeky? Our Merry? Never!

Seriously speaking, I would be enormously grateful for some help to define what really still needs a lookup because I don't want to send Linda on a wild goose chase. I had thrown in these three when she asked if there was anything else for Northallerton. I didn't know they would be at Borthwick and hence a separate trip.

I'm recovering from our floor-laying weekend and desperately trying to suck up coffee, knowing all the while that I'm running 5 hours behind you all and the clock is ticking because Linda has so kindly booked for tomorrow!
======================================

name: Elezebeth Kempley
baptism/christening date: 22 Jun 1799
baptism/christening place: WARTHILL,YORK,ENGLAND
birth date:
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: John Kempley
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Hannah
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: P00600-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 98541
reference number:
Source Citation
"England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J93N-FH2 : accessed 10 May 2012), Elezebeth Kempley, 1799.

Groom's Name: William Spence
Bride's Name: Elizabeth Burley
Marriage Date: 07 May 1837
Marriage Place: Saint John Ousebridge,York,York,England

Groom's Name: Jesse Burley
Bride's Name: Elizabeth Kempley
Marriage Date: 24 Nov 1823
Marriage Place: Tadcaster,York,England

Janet (Niagara)
Old 14-05-12, 15:32
Administrator

I guess from the point of view of knowing if you have tied the right Wm and George Spence together using the 1829 baptism, the most important entry to see in full is the 1837 marriage between Elizabeth Burley and William Spence (already listed in Janet's post above). They need to be widower and widow for everything else to work out.

Any other entries would be just to see what additional info is provided. I don't know if this one would be where Linda is going?

Likely baptism for George's father William:

Name: William Spence
Baptism/Christening Date: 06 Apr 1805
Baptism/Christening Place: NEWTON UPON OUSE,YORK,ENGLAND
Father's Name: William Spence
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Margaret

The only other thing I can think of is if there are any cross parish marriage indexes at York.

We are looking for a William Spence marrying an Ann, preferably before 1829 and probably not more than five years before that.

Similar situation with possible cross parish indexes for burials.....We assume Ann Spence died between 1829 and 1837, but we don't know where and her age would likely be under 40 and possibly under 30 if she was buried at the beginning of that time frame.

Obviously these last two are completely needle-in-a-haystack jobs if there are no indexes and I suppose the chances of there being indexes are fairly slim!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-05-12, 15:52

Thank you, Merry!!!
* throwing-kisses smiley icon*

Janet (Niagara)
Old 14-05-12, 16:22

I have added the Newton on Ouse baptism, it is at York.

Without a parish to look at, it would be nigh on impossible to find the other two. Sometimes there are transcription books, if so I could look in them, but only if you could suggest some parishes for me
Old 14-05-12, 17:05
Administrator

I think it would be too onerous, Linda, unless there are any cross parish indexes.

Ann Spence might have been buried in Knareborough and the more likely the closer to 1829 that she died. However it looks as if William moved to York at some point and I guess there are loads of parishes/churches in the city.

Ann and Wm Spence might have married in Knaresborough, but they could just as easily been married anywhere else!

Without cross parish indexes it's also impossible to know if there are several possible entries or just one!! I've been lucky that several ROs I've contacted have had cross parish indexes though they have often turned out to be for the wrong time frame!!

Old 14-05-12, 17:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda in Herriot Country View Post
I have added the Newton on Ouse baptism, it is at York.
Thank you, Linda!!!
* throwing-kisses smiley icon*

Janet (Niagara)
Old 15-05-12, 16:27

Ok,

I own the National Burial index discs version 3, they cover the York Ainsty for the period you want, but there is no Ann Spence burial,so she is probably at Knaresborough. York don't have those, but Northallerton do have some transcripts for the burials.

I don't think you will need it though because

Marriage by banns 7 May 1837, St John's York, both of this parish, both signed.
William Spence widower and Elizabeth Burley widow Witnesses John Robinson and Jane Settle who made her mark. The same two witnesses appear on several marriages on the page,so they are just church officials.

Tadcaster York, marriage after banns 24 Nov 1823 Jesse Burley bachelor age 23, Elizabeth Kemperly (terribly badly written) spinster age 24 both of this parish. Witnesses James Atkinson and William Burniston (William is on several marriages on the page)

Warthill 22 June 1799 Elizabeth daughter of John and Hannah Kemperley. This is in the old handwritten sheet of paper type,not on an official form, so there is no other information given.

Same goes for the baptism of William Spence 5 Ap 1805 Newton on Ouse, it is the old handwritten format with no information other than parents William and Margaret Spence.
Old 15-05-12, 16:30

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Linda!

If I can do anything at all in return for you please let me know.

If I can't do anything for you, then I hope I can do something for somebody else and pass it on some day.

Janet (Niagara)