Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-08-23, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
One of my families had 14 children - ten survived to adulthood. The four that didn't were all called Thomas (after their father). Two of those were baptised within a few weeks of the death of an earlier Thomas. You would think by the time you had named three babies Thomas and they had all died whilst the rest of your children were survivors, you might give up on the name for your very last child? They didn't though and he died aged 4.
My Wood ancestors had three sons called Edward. They all died in infancy.
Old 06-08-23, 13:21
Administrator

It would be perfectly usual for another son to be named William after the previous William died, but the censuses etc say that your William was born about 1806-7 and he would have to be born in 1808 or later if he was a son of John and Ann's (Unless of course there were two John and Ann couples). Of course his age could be wrong everywhere.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-08-23, 23:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It would be perfectly usual for another son to be named William after the previous William died, but the censuses etc say that your William was born about 1806-7 and he would have to be born in 1808 or later if he was a son of John and Ann's (Unless of course there were two John and Ann couples). Of course his age could be wrong everywhere.
Yes you're right. The age gap would be too close for it to be possible.
I've been in contact with Berkshire records office and a lady is going to do a search for me. I let you know if she comes back with anything,