Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-10-15, 13:42

Default Adoptive family for a change

I've been looking at my adoptive family on and off for a while but always had a problem with a grandmother. She was always told she had been born in London and her mother was a singer/stage performer. She was brought up in Gainsborough, Lincs never knowing who her mother was.
When she (granny) died a few years back nobody knew her maiden name though the registrar discovered it to be Lotus. There isn't a birth reg for her and very few records for the Lotus surname.

Both her marriage certs and birth certs of children suggest she was born Agnes Alexander Lotus. There isn't a birth reg for her and very few records for the surname. Throughout her life she was known as Peggy but nobody quite knows why.

On her first marriage cert no father is recorded, age suggests a yob of 1909. The birth reg for her two daughters (1929 and 1935) notes mmn as Lotus.
Her 2nd marriage in 1949 notes her father as James Walker, deceased, boiler makers labourer. Both certs show her forenames as Agnes Alexander. Again her age suggests a yob of 1909.

In the 1911 census at Gainsborough there is a James Walker, boilermakers labourer, aged 58, also in the household is an Agnes Alexandria, b1909, Manchester, nurse child. No other household members with the Alexandria surname.

I've checked Lancs bmd and there is a Peggy Agnes Alexander, b1909, Manchester Central Dist, mmn Alexander.

I'm tempted to buy the cert but is it going to help? It's not going to pin down her mother much in the 1901-1911 census.
My coal is spent, my iron's gone
My nails are drove, my work is done
Lord receive my soul

Last edited by Glen TK; 12-10-15 at 13:45.
Old 12-10-15, 14:03
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen TK View Post
I'm tempted to buy the cert but is it going to help? It's not going to pin down her mother much in the 1901-1911 census.
It might if her mother has an uncommon first name! But let's just see if we can find anything else to help before you fork out for the cert...

There is a George H Walker / Louisa Alexander marriage Oct-Dec 1914 but in Stockton district.

Also probably unconnected - a Peggy Agnes Reid baptised 10 Feb 1909 at St John's Church, Manchester, parents William and Margaret Alexandra. I can't see any sign of her in the BMD indexes at the moment so will try to find the baptism image for further info - I just found it on the ancestry index that comes from FamilySearch at the moment.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 12-10-15, 14:09
Administrator

Okay, found that Reid baptism in the PR's and the father is a butcher, address 78 Gartside St. DOB 3 Feb 1909.

Old 12-10-15, 14:11
Administrator

I found a few households at 78 Gartside Street on the 1911 census but no Reids or Alexanders.

Old 12-10-15, 14:21
Administrator

Hmm, I can't find a William Reid, butcher, in Manchester on the 1909 or 1911 census. Nor any other baptisms for children of William and Margaret.

But there is the baptism of an Arthur Alexandra, son of Margaret, of 57 Thompson St, 4 Mar 1903 at St Paul, Manchester, and an Ella Alexander, daughter of Margaret Emma, housemaid of 10 Edwin St, 20 Aug 1905 at St Mary's Wardleworth, Rochdale.

Old 12-10-15, 14:34
Administrator

Ella Alexander aged 5 b Rochdale (1911) niece of Georgina Hume nee Alexander aged 30. In 1891 Georgina has a sister, Margaret aged 13.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-15, 14:36
Administrator

Margaret Emma Alexander is single in 1911 and in Rochdale.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-10-15, 14:37
Administrator

I was stuck with the Arthur one, which seems the more likely to be connected,

Old 12-10-15, 14:52

The surname of two-year-old Agnes in the household of James Walker in Gainsborough in 1911 looks like Alexander to me, not Alexandria.
Old 12-10-15, 15:42
Administrator

Arthur seems to have been registered with the surname Alexander, first quarter of 1903 (FreeBMD), and actually born in 1902 (Lancashire BMD, but doesn't show MMN to confirm).