Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-06-19, 09:01
Administrator

Daughter in law commonly could mean step-daughter, but not usually of an imaginary spouse!

What was the address where Priscilla died?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 09:21
Administrator

Quote:
Another illegitimate child living at 133 Finborough Road while Priscilla lived at the property was baptised at the same church where Horace and Violet (both illegitimate) were baptised.
Who was that?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-06-19, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Daughter in law commonly could mean step-daughter, but not usually of an imaginary spouse!

What was the address where Priscilla died?
Priscilla died in Charing Cross Hospital, Strand
widow of John Jezard 133 Finborough Road
'John Jezard' is probably her common law husband who I suspect has another name who probably had a son then, so that 'Ellen' could be the daughter in law or if his daughter her step-daughter and I suspect with another name - could even be her own daughter Eliza - but I think we'll never know!

Could Priscilla have made up the existence of John Jezard so that she could own her property?

When Priscilla's daughters marry Priscilla's husband Robert Thrasher is called:
Robert Jezard
Robert Courtenay
Robert Thrasher
Old 01-06-19, 10:05
Administrator

Quote:
133 Finborough Road
I see this property was unoccupied in 1901.

Old 01-06-19, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Karen View Post

Could Priscilla have made up the existence of John Jezard?
When is John Jezard mentioned? If the only reference is on Priscilla's death certificate and Ellen is providing the details, then Ellen's father probably was a John. If Ellen wasn't married to/cohabiting with a Jezzard, all bets are off. There are innumerable errors/lies on my family certificates that I know about (three separate ones on sib's) which would confuse future researchers. Priscilla could not change any details she was unhappy about.
Old 01-06-19, 10:43
Administrator

Was your copy of Priscilla's death certificate a scan / photocopy of the original handwritten certificate, Lorraine, or was it a version which had been copied out or typed up by the register office? If the latter then I can easily imagine them mistranscribing Eliza as Ellen.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-06-19, 10:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I see this property was unoccupied in 1901.
Thanks Merry - is that on the 1901 census - looked through but can't see 133 - you can't look up just the address on the census can you?
Old 01-06-19, 10:51

Does Triplow appear in a single instance on the 1891 census? My mind is working in the same way as Kite's, and having seen gross mistranscriptions where the enumerator is writing up the badly scribbled household forms into his book, Triplow and Thrasher could be muddled if an h from the line below made the s or a look like a p.
Old 01-06-19, 10:52
Administrator

In general people named Jezard seem to live in Kent (not the London part) except for Henry John Jezard who had a child in Strand registration district in 1901. He was a railway porter in 1901/1911 and on his 1899 marriage cert. He doesn't feel right at all for your theatrical family (plus he is only the age of Priscilla's children)!!

In 1901 Henry John is living at Peabody Buildings and I've seen that address whilst looking for stuff for this thread, but I don't know what now.

Old 01-06-19, 10:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Does Triplow appear in a single instance on the 1891 census? My mind is working in the same way as Kite's, and having seen gross mistranscriptions where the enumerator is writing up the badly scribbled household forms into his book, Triplow and Thrasher could be muddled if an h from the line below made the s or a look like a p.
I agree that it could well be a gross mistranscription. Going from Suffolk to Cardiff for place of birth only makes it more likely imho.