Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 11-10-17, 02:11
tenterfieldjulie

Default Family Tree Maker 15th Edition

Hi Everyone,

I am a bit of a dinosaur and have been using for a lot of years, FTM 15th Edition, which runs on Windows 98/ME/XP. It was produced by Ancestry.com.au, but I have never submitted my files to Ancestry online.

I now need to purchase a new notebook computer and have been advised that my programme is not compatibile with latest software.

Is it possible to convert all my years of research on FTM15 into a programme using current software? Does it mean in the future whatever programme I use will have this issue. I am happy to pay for updated programmes, what I find distressing, is having to either retype all my data into a new system, with the possibility that it will be superceded in the near future, or is the only way you can hope that you will not loose all your data, is to print it off into hard copy
Old 11-10-17, 08:34
Administrator

Does it give you the option to export a GEDCOM, Julie? If it does then you should be able to then import that into your new software.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-10-17, 10:58
Administrator

Thinking about it some more, if you get a newer version of FTM, it should be able to read in the FTM file directly. Also, there are some other family tree programs available which can read in an FTM file without needing a GEDCOM.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-10-17, 11:04
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kate. I wondered about GEDCOM, but if I can import into a new version FTM that would be brilliant. A big relief. Julie
Old 12-10-17, 21:35

Julie I had FTM12, then upgraded to FTM14 as ancestry no longer support FTM, it is another company now.

Once I installed FTM14 and went to open the my files FTM did the conversion for me. The same happened when I upgraded to FTM17, which is the latest version and what you would want. You ca not use the file on the old program once it has been converted.

The only thing all the literature said was to make sure you back up the original files just in case something goes wrong and then you still have your original program and files. Mackiev are very good at responding and helping if need be.

Just a warning all the installing and upgrading can take time so don't panic if it say 30 minutes to upload. It didn't actually take that amount of time when I did it.
Old 17-10-17, 20:44
tenterfieldjulie

Thanks Kit. That is good to know. I will probably be in Sydney tomorrow so I will look into it.