Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 2xGreat-Grandparent

Old 13-02-10, 00:09
maggie_4_7

Default Mary Duffy aka Mary Irvine

My father's father's mother's mother.

Name:
Mary Duffy/Irvine

Date and place of birth:
About 1833 somewhere in Ireland

Names of parents:
Not known

Date and place of baptism:
Not known

Details of each of his or her marriages:
Marriage to John McMillan on the 23rd September 1854 in Ayr, Scotland

Occupation(s)
Not known

Addresses where they lived:
Inveresk, Mussleburgh, Midlothian on the 13th August 1861 her daughter Elizabeth McMillan’s birth.
Winchiels Shed, Hutton and Corrie, Dumfriesshire, Scottish Census 1871.
Parish: Hutton and Corrie; ED: 1; Page: 9; Line: 13; Roll CSSCT1871_184; Year: 1871.
Kames Row, Muirkirk, Ayrshire - 1881 Scottish Census
Parish: Muirkirk; ED: 7; Page: 24; Line: 9; Roll cssct1881_194; Year: 1881.
14 Loganlea Rows, West Calder, Midlothian, Scotland - Scottish Census 1891
Parish: West Calder; ED: 8; Page: 18; Line: 16; Roll CSSCT1891_370; Year: 1891.

Date, place and cause of death:
Not known

Date and place of burial:
Not known

Details of will / administration of their estate:
Not known

Memorial inscription:
Not known

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 14-02-10 at 16:21. Reason: To add the census reference
Old 13-02-10, 14:59
Administrator

If all the children listed on the IGI with parents John McMillan and Mary Duffy are in the same family, they moved around a lot!
James 1856 - Muirkirk, Ayr and Douglas, Lanark (eh?)
John 1859 - Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfries
Mary 1863 - Moffat, Dumfries
Thomas 1867 - Closeburn, Dumfries
Margaret Swords 1870 - Roberton, Selkirk.

Where does the surname Irvine come into it, Maggie?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-02-10, 15:24
Administrator

Ah yes, found them in 1871 on ancestry at Winchiels Shed, Hutton and Corrie, Dumfriesshire, and John's occupation is Pedlar, I suppose that explains it. Mary's birthplace is transcribed as Ayr but I don't know whether that's what it says on the actual image. In addition to the children listed above, there is William 5 born Peeblesshire. He is on the IGI as William Andrew Fox Macmillan 31 Dec 1865 Traquair, Peebles, with mother's name given as Mary Duffus which I suppose is why he didn't come up on my original search.

1871 census ref in case you don't have it:
Parish: Hutton and Corrie; ED: 1; Page: 9; Line: 13

In 1881 ancestry says they are at Kames Row, Muirkirk, Ayrshire, but I suspect it might be a mistranscription? Mary is 44 born Ayr and they have Janet 8 born Tyndrum, Dumfriesshire and George 4 born Corsock, Wigtownshire.

Old 13-02-10, 15:39
Administrator

In 1891 Mary and son George are visitors at West Calder, Midlothian, with Richard and Elizabeth Young - is that her daughter Elizabeth who you mentioned in your original post? Mary is 50 born Ayr. If I have the right people!

Old 13-02-10, 16:26
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If all the children listed on the IGI with parents John McMillan and Mary Duffy are in the same family, they moved around a lot!
James 1856 - Muirkirk, Ayr and Douglas, Lanark (eh?)
John 1859 - Kirkpatrick Juxta, Dumfries
Mary 1863 - Moffat, Dumfries
Thomas 1867 - Closeburn, Dumfries
Margaret Swords 1870 - Roberton, Selkirk.

Where does the surname Irvine come into it, Maggie?
The name Irvine pops up on Elizabeth Young nee McMillan's eventually Caddies (she married Andrew Caddies after Richard's death and had a son by Andrew called Andrew Caddies Junior) death cert they name her mother as Mary Irvine. I do think she was Duffy.

They did move around a lot John McMillan was born in Glasgow and Mary was Irish they married in Ayr and then ended up in Inveresk and then they went back to Ayr.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 13-02-10 at 17:00.
Old 13-02-10, 16:32
maggie_4_7

Quote:
In 1891 Mary and son George are visitors at West Calder, Midlothian, with Richard and Elizabeth Young - is that her daughter Elizabeth who you mentioned in your original post? Mary is 50 born Ayr. If I have the right people!
ahhh interesting by all accounts Mary Duffy was born in Ireland and she was a Catholic - but I'll take a look at that. It was probably prudent by then to just say you were born where you were especially if you were an Irish Catholic

It must be Elizabeth her daughter and her husband my great grandfather Richard Geddes Young!!

Thank you very much.

Edit to say: the Scots drive me mad at times, first you see them then you don't but when you do get them its a wealth of info because the Scots were better at recording it but you have to find them first - unfortunately the minute it's Father's something or other its going to be a problem because my father was Scottish

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 13-02-10 at 18:30.
Old 13-02-10, 18:55
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Ah yes, found them in 1871 on ancestry at Winchiels Shed, Hutton and Corrie, Dumfriesshire, and John's occupation is Pedlar, I suppose that explains it. Mary's birthplace is transcribed as Ayr but I don't know whether that's what it says on the actual image. In addition to the children listed above, there is William 5 born Peeblesshire. He is on the IGI as William Andrew Fox Macmillan 31 Dec 1865 Traquair, Peebles, with mother's name given as Mary Duffus which I suppose is why he didn't come up on my original search.

1871 census ref in case you don't have it:
Parish: Hutton and Corrie; ED: 1; Page: 9; Line: 13

In 1881 ancestry says they are at Kames Row, Muirkirk, Ayrshire, but I suspect it might be a mistranscription? Mary is 44 born Ayr and they have Janet 8 born Tyndrum, Dumfriesshire and George 4 born Corsock, Wigtownshire.
Thank you very much.

I have looked and you have the right people.

I don't know how you do it I have looked for ages for Elizabeth's earlier life and really not found anything or have but found lots of duff stuff and lots of Mary and John McMillans and lost the will to live with the Scots sometimes!!

Interesting that he was a Pedlar - not on any documentation I have i.e. Elizabeth's marriage cert or baptism does it say Pedlar!!! But you absolultely have the right family.
Old 13-02-10, 19:32
Administrator

His occupation was labourer at coal pit on the 1881 census so I suppose he stopped being a pedlar. This is all from ancestry's transcriptions, by the way, I haven't seen the actual images, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of any of it!

I haven't managed to find any of them on any earlier censuses, yet, though.

Old 13-02-10, 19:52
Administrator

Hmph, if she was born in Ayr then I can't find any likelies for her on the earlier censuses and if she was born in Ireland, way too many!

Do you know the names of John McMillan's parents and grandparents? Sometimes you can figure out the likely names of one spouse's parents from the children's names if you know the names of the other spouse's parents. If they followed the traditional naming pattern, that is.

Old 14-02-10, 14:29
maggie_4_7

I thought finding their marriage would be easy seeing as the date is on Elizabeth's birth cert but I just had a thought it may have been a Catholic ceremony!! Which is why I haven't found it and it was 1854 just before civil registration began in Scotland!

Edit to say: I have now downloaded the children's baptsims except William and Thomas can't find them. And indeed most of the births on the census are the places they were born!!! John McMillan the father's trade goes from Pedlar, Coal Labourer, General Labourer, Travelling Besom Maker, Coalpit Worker. The date for John and Mary's marriage is recorded on the baptisms and it ranges from October 1852, August 21st 1853, August 1854 ...

I can't find those census on Scotland's People to check the images!

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 14-02-10 at 16:22.

Tags
to2g5