Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-06-19, 03:32

Has anyone heard of Netherstead-hey or Netherstead Hay?

I'm trying to find options for parents for Samuel and Thomas Latham, that I am related to. Given Thomas is born around 1728 it narrows things somewhat.

I have an option of a father John at All Saints, Maddeley but the register says of Netherstead-hey, (or Netherstead Hay) for all the children. Mother Margeret for most children, not mentioned for last 3 incl Thomas and Samuel.

There is another option in Cheshire but I think Staffordshire is more likely. I'll check for wills to see if it helps.

for future reference : John married Margareta Steele 1689 John Latham

Margaret died 1744 buried Madeley Margaret Latham So if this is the right John, his wife Margaret was mother of all children.

Last edited by Kit; 22-06-19 at 04:15.
Old 22-06-19, 05:56

John above leaves a wonderful will in 1745 but it does not mention Thomas. A Thomas Latham was buried in 1743 so if that is John's son it means it isn't my family.

*sobs. He named grandchildren, sons and daughters in law.
Old 22-06-19, 07:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post

I have a question. If a marriage licence states an age of the groom ie 28 and upwards, rather than the standard 21 would that mean the groom was 28? This is in Cheshire but the groom, Thomas, was from Muxton (Mucklestone) so I think he is my Thomas from Woore as his children were born in Woore.
How things are recorded will depend on: general rules in place at the time, the instructions of the local church court (bishop, archdeacon etc) and the vagaries of the individual recording the information.

Early allegations often say 40 yrs and upwards, 60 yrs and upwards etc, but the only relevant information post Hardwick's act is that you are capable of committing yourself to marriage, ie over 21.

So...

I would say that the groom probably said he was 28. And as he was literate, he was probably right, as it does not appear to be a rite-of-passage date.
Old 22-06-19, 07:13
Administrator

Quote:
John above leaves a wonderful will in 1745 but it does not mention Thomas. A Thomas Latham was buried in 1743 so if that is John's son it means it isn't my family.

*sobs. He named grandchildren, sons and daughters in law.
Annoying!

I couldn't find anything on Netherstead. Took me a while to realise you were talking about Madeley in Staffordshire not the (much bigger) one in Shropshire which I've been to! lol (takes me back to school - "you didn't read the question through properly before answering" )

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-06-19, 07:51

Try Googling Netherset Hey Farm. It's just south-east of Madeley itself.
Old 22-06-19, 08:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Took me a while to realise you were talking about Madeley in Staffordshire not the (much bigger) one in Shropshire which I've been to! lol (takes me back to school - "you didn't read the question through properly before answering" )
I didn't know there were two. Sorry.

Mucklestone is in both Staffordshire and Shropshire (but at one point Shropshire used cc not ck) so I don't think I would have necessarily realised there were 2 places anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Will do, thanks.

Although it isn't my family.

footnote: Pool Hall is a place I love too, Not. That is impossible to google.
Old 22-06-19, 08:48

Quote:
Googling says it is in Cheshire.

Family should just pick a place to live and never move.
Old 22-06-19, 09:11

Compare a modern map of Surrey with one two hundred years ago. We have taken a large chunk out of Middlesex (which no longer exists) and lost all our northen parishes to London. The challenge is to find the record office holding the archives for the place - and for Croydon they could be in the local, borough, archives, in Surrey or in London.
All part of life's rich tapestry!
Old 22-06-19, 09:14
Administrator

Quote:
Googling says it is in Cheshire.
Madeley in Staffordshire has a Crewe (Cheshire) postal code which is probably why it gets listed as Cheshire.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-06-19, 09:23

Quote:
All part of life's rich tapestry!
Sometimes I'd like a poor tapestry. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Madeley in Staffordshire has a Crewe (Cheshire) postal code which is probably why it gets listed as Cheshire.
This is very confusing to me. I have no idea of what is where, which does help as I don't rule things out that others that know the country might, but being in one county and having a post code for another is very complicated to me.