Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 14-06-19, 04:30

Default Quick and nasty trees

I've spent far too long doing a quick tree for my 5g grandmother based on what an online tree stated.

My 4g grandfather was illegitimate and I have no idea of his father or her parents. I think she left home to have the baby and returned home at some point afterwards, if the online tree is correct. She disappeared after giving birth as far as I have found so far.

I can't find anything to link what I know with her supposed husband or parents and siblings online, although they do seem to all live in the same areas. They must have known each other even if not related.

What I suspect though is that if I take another line of mine back a bit further that the suspected families will turn out to be related somehow and that will mean my 2g grandparents were related.

I just wish early PRs were more comprehensive so I could work it all out easier.
Old 14-06-19, 08:10

Once you get before 1837, you need to look at a whole raft of other documents. Unfortunately, many of them are not online.
Old 14-06-19, 12:55

I was hoping for a witness at a wedding or appearing on the same census to start with the original problem.

With the other potential relationship there is a possible move from Devon to Somerset but nothing to back it up. I don't think there was enough money for there to be any supporting documents elsewhere.
Old 14-06-19, 12:56

I did have the thought of bastardy orders but will have to look into whether they exist for Somerset and how much they cost. It might be a long term project.