Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 14-05-19, 19:34

Default FTM 2019 new edition - Do I want it?

Just arrived in my email inbox. I'm running FTM 2017 on both PC and Mac.
Not wrangled with DNA yet, but I confess I did just buy a couple of kits.
Is there anything here I really want? All opinions/insights gratefully received.

FTM 2019
Three Days Only – Preorder Now
Save $50 on an upgrade to FTM 2019.

A NEW EDITION IS ABOUT TO ARRIVE
It's been thirty years since Family Tree Maker was born and it's only fitting that we introduce a new edition this year that takes this grand old brand to places its original creators could only have dreamed of. Where every change you make to your tree on your Mac or PC can be instantly and automatically viewed from your smart phone or tablet. Where you can turn back time to erase mistakes you made even a thousand changes ago. Where you can arrange for your tree to be passed on to a relative of your choice along with your Family Tree Maker license to ensure your legacy lives on. That's just a small part of the new world of Family Tree Maker you'll be seeing this summer. Pre-order sales start today.

TOP TEN REASONS TO UPGRADE NOW
10. Turn Back Time.

This one might just be worth the whole upgrade. FTM 2019 keeps track of every one of your last THOUSAND changes. Made a mistake three days ago but your last full backup is three weeks old? Just roll back to just before the mistake was made with a single click. Then use the comprehensive Changes Log to restore the moves you meant to make. Problem solved.

9. FamilySearch Integration 2.0.
Lots of news here starting with the ability to download an entire branch from a FamilySearch tree into FTM 2019. But the big news here is historical record hints which you'll get when you match a person in your Family Tree Maker tree to a person in a FamilySearch family tree. Simple as that.

8. Hints in the Index.
Once found only on tree views, in FTM 2019, Ancestry and FamilySearch hints appear in the people index too. So you can check for hints for a particular family name or for any saved list.

7. Smart Filters.
In FTM 2017 we introduced the ability to save filtered lists. Now those lists just got smarter. The filter that created the list actively gathers any new people that meet that filter's criteria that are added to your tree. For example, if your filtered list is for military service, when you add two more service men or women to your tree, they'll be added automatically to that list.

6. Folder counters.
Stop peeking into folders to see if there's anything in there. Numbers on your folder tabs now show the number of items stored in each one. Simple idea. Big time-saver.

5. Profile Picture perfection.
Clean up the look of your tree with our new profile picture cropping tool. Smart technology detects the person's face and zooms just the right amount, then crops a perfect square so that it fits perfectly on each leaf of your tree. And best of all, the original photo is not touched.

4. Tree Browser.
Get what you're looking for quickly with this new window into your tree files. Search a family name and find all related trees wherever they are – on Ancestry, on your hard drive, or up in the clouds. And for each tree you'll have everything you need to know at your fingertips – does that FTM tree have a linked Ancestry tree, and if so, under what name? No links to an Ancestry tree? Click Download in the browser to get all synched up.

3. Rich Color Coding.
One of the most frequent requests from genealogists using FTM 2017's color coding, was for "rich" color coding – not just coding the home person's ancestors but each ancestor's descendants as well. With FTM 2019, rich color coding is just one click away.

2. TreeVault Cloud Services.
With TreeVault your relatives will be able to view your tree on their smartphones and tablets and send notes back to you. You'll know what the weather was like the day your grandfather was born. And you'll sleep better knowing that you have an up to date copy of your tree securely tucked away, and that someday it will be passed on to the next generation. We will be adding services with each update, but here's the starting lineup:
  • Emergency Tree™ restore service. TreeVault keeps a continuously updated copy of your tree ready to hand back to you if your hard drive should crash or some other catastrophe strikes.
  • FTM Connect™ is a FREE mobile app (for iPad, iPhone and coming soon for Android) that displays your latest FTM tree anywhere, any time – even when your computer is off. Handy for sharing your tree with relatives or for using your iPad as a second monitor with your continuously updated tree.
    Historical Weather™ puts color in your family story with more than a billion historical weather records. Dates will never be boring again. Consider:
    Before: James Smith was born on March 4, 1923.
    After: There was a cold driving rain on that windy morning of March 4, 1923 when James Smith was born.
  • Next of Kin™ allows you to designate a successor to your TreeVault account to pass along your family tree. You will get a certificate that may be included with a will, providing instructions and passcodes for taking over your account along with your Family Tree Maker license.
1. It's on sale, right?
Not only on sale, but at the best price for this upgrade you'll ever see. Just $29.95 for the next three days (50% off the regular upgrade price of $59.95). And as if that weren't good enough, you'll also get a full year of TreeVault cloud services for FREE.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 14-05-19, 22:49

A lot of it doesn't seem to important to me but if you are going to upgrade eventually and have he money now I'd do it for the cheaper price.

Point 10 sounds like a good safety option, although I can't see it being used often.

Point 9 would be better if you could just get familysearch record hints without downloading the user submitted tree. So that point is useless.

8 is good. 7 is if you use that facility. I don't but might think about making use of it soon.

3 and 5 sound good.

4. maybe.

2. You will have to pay after 12 months so not sure if it is worth the effort.

If I get the offer I'll probably do it as eventually it will be necessary at some future point and I love a sale but none of this is essential.

If you are going to do DNA in the near future it might be best to have an up to date FTM if you are going to have an online tree for matches to have a look at. Syncing will be better I think.
Old 14-05-19, 23:39
Administrator

Sounds quite good! But I agree with Toni about the TreeVault cloud service - and we don't even know how much they are going to charge for that after the 12 months, do we?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-05-19, 00:20

Toni and Kate, thank you. It does have some potentially useful features, and I'm still wavering but haven't got long to dally.

On general principles I try always to lean toward keeping my software as up to date as possible. On the other hand, I'm still blissfully enjoying Windows 7 and Word 97.

So I'll have to make up my mind soon but I can tell you one thing for certain. I will not be won over by their "cold driving rain on that windy morning"!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 15-05-19, 02:35

I have the email now. TreeVault is $30 for me, normal price for a year.

All my prices are different so the emails are priced for location.

So for me the prices are:

FTM 2019 (download) regular price $89.95 Presale price $45
Treevault (1 yr) $30 Free

Total $119.95 $45

Now I've uploaded 2 of my trees to ancestry and made them private and unsearchable and I also tried FMP, which is private at the moment too. I have a searchable one on ancestry too which is a lot smaller and without pictures, documents etc for people to make contact. So I'm not sure of the value in treevault as I wont be paying for it as an ongoing service.

Also note this is a presale so you wont actually get the new FTM just yet.
Old 15-05-19, 04:50

Good point, Toni. Pig in a poke?

If the conversion rate I found is currently accurate, my $29.95 US does translate to almost $45 in Aus ($43.21 to be exact), so it seems comparable.

I agree, the "free" Treevault is actually worthless unless you're going to start paying in a year which I expect I'm not.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 15-05-19, 07:37

I think I'll purchase the upgrade though. From past experience it wont be offered any cheaper at a later date. I assume it wont be too long before it is released and if you have any concerns don't download it when it is released until others have done it and tested it.

TreeVault does sound like a good product but it's not a priority to me.
Old 15-05-19, 12:29

I purchased the 2019 as my last FTM is 2014. I also got the disc as I wanted to be sure I could reload it should the computer crash.
Old 15-05-19, 17:13

More good points. Thanks, Toni and Julie.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 16-05-19, 05:30

Well, I've ordered. Thanks all.

Janet (Niagara)