Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-10-20, 11:50
Administrator

The burial records from 1744-1763 are really easy to read, no glaring gaps and no impossible to work out entries. Of course that doesn't mean there are no missing entries!

After 1763 the handwriting goes downhill so I had to slow down! Again no obvious gaps and whilst the handwriting is more difficult, there are a lot less instances of people not being fully described (such as Widow Smith or the child of Mr Parker). Having said that there's the very occasional use of Mr X or Mrs Y with no first name. On 8th Aug 1774 there's an entry that looks like it says Mr Grout:

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...946661%2f00144

If this was a man and someone worthy of being described as Mr I hoped there might be a will for him, but of course there doesn't seem to be! Could be a slip of the pen - maybe the vicar couldn't remember her first name (being a more unusual name) and meant to write Mrs Grout! Of course we shall probably never know. We might need someone to go to the churchyard with a trowel and see if Dinah's stone has fallen flat next to Philip's and perhaps has been covered by the grass

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010