Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 25-02-14, 10:13
Administrator

Quote:
Rose Sponge married Thomas Rawstorne on 2 May 1813
So if this is the Thomas bap end of 1806 aged 11years and 2 months he would only be 17 at the marriage?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-02-14, 10:28

FMP's India records have a burial for a Thomas Raustorne at Mozoufferpore in 1830.
Old 25-02-14, 10:30

B*gger, yes. I took 11 from 1806 and got 1795, then worked out there was 18 years between 1795 and 1813, not thinking properly.

The marriage just says the names, occupation, marital status, no age or parents.
Old 25-02-14, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
FMP's India records have a burial for a Thomas Raustorne at Mozoufferpore in 1830.
That's exciting. Off to look. That is not a variation I have come across before.
Old 25-02-14, 10:34
tenterfieldjulie

In India there were a lot of arranged marriages with couples much younger than 17. I wouldn't discount it because of that age.
Old 25-02-14, 10:37

Thanks Julie, I wont. My 2g grandma was 17 on her first marriage and widowed and 21 for her second.

Shona it could be him, I have no idea what the occupation is though. I wish there was an age though.
Old 25-02-14, 10:42

Can someone look at the marriage between Thomas Rawsterne and Charlotte in 1816 at Dum Dum. Does that look relevant to me?
Old 25-02-14, 10:47
tenterfieldjulie

I've read there were many reasons for the marriages Toni and usually the bride and groom had no say. Influence and money for the parents were the main objects but supposedly protection for the women who were extremely vulnerable. Marrying a young man would have been a relief for many of the young women I would imagine. Marrying an old man, I suppose if you were just an ornament, would have been better than depending on other males in your family to look after you. It was a very different society then in India to our western ideas especially today.
Old 25-02-14, 10:57

Julie in my 2g grandma's case I suspect a marriage was security. Her father was wealthy Scot, married an englishwoman, rather than her Indian mother, and he returned to England. I don't know but I suspect he cut all ties.

She married an army man so in theory a good catch, except that he supposedly died. She then married my 2g grandfather and that was more successful, or at least long term.
Old 25-02-14, 11:06

Julie I actually find it all a bit sad, how the anglo-indians were abandoned. My James Johnstone that I have mentioned before, was either born in a harem, or maybe his father was. Not sure yet which. His grandfather was one of 4 brothers. I have read one article that said one of the 4 was considered the richest man in England at one time. James inherited his father's drummer position, which was probably poorly paid and only for half-castes.