Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 17-10-22, 08:36

My subscription comes up for renewal in 10 days' time. I have already viewed the 1921 Census for my close family so I don't think I shall bother upgrading. I've just cancelled auto-renew and will wait to see if any offers come up. I have been slightly miffed during the past few months when I see offers for less than I have paid when they told us that loyal customers would be rewarded.
Old 17-10-22, 08:51
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
Go on the transcription page and click on the person who has the error. Above the names there is a tab called more actions. Click on that and it says report an error. I’ve done this quite a few times and my version has always been excepted. They send an email when they’ve looked at it.
Ooh, thanks Marg. I should have guessed someone here would know and that FMP's help page (link in post #7) wouldn't be helpful!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-10-22, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Ooh, thanks Marg. I should have guessed someone here would know and that FMP's help page (link in post #7) wouldn't be helpful!
I found it more by luck than judgement. When we had to pay per image we didn’t bother with the transcription because it would have cost extra. You need to be on the transcription page to do it.
Old 17-10-22, 18:32
Administrator

Thanks Marg, I have just submitted my first correction

I spent some time looking for George Thomas Barker, to finally find him as Berker!

I might go back eventually and submit corrections for the ones I have already found, but I am sure there will be more as I work through the directory, so they will hear from me again!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 22-10-22, 09:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
I am finding rather a lot of mistranscriptions in the 1921 census. Is there some way of reporting them to get them corrected like there is on Ancestry?
There are definitely a heap of errors which is unusual and disappointing for FMP. My email is just a list of correction emails now.

On the plus side I have already made my money back on the extra cost compared to the price of each image.

I'm saddened by the 1921 census as I have several families where Dad just took off, abandoning the family.

I also have a mystery child. My 2g grandparents have a daughter who should have been on the 1911 census, but was not and does not fit into the number born alive figures. I don't think she can be the child of a child either due to the ages of the other children. I've put her on the back burner for now.
Old 22-10-22, 11:43
Administrator

Quote:
I'm saddened by the 1921 census as I have several families where Dad just took off, abandoning the family.
I wonder how much that was the impact of WW1?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-10-22, 19:54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
There are definitely a heap of errors which is unusual and disappointing for FMP. My email is just a list of correction emails now.
FMP will be getting sick of me, I have reported 35 errors already, 12 yesterday alone! It is taking me ages to find some people using all the tricks I can think of! There are some who have to be there somewhere but I cannot find them.

There is one where it clearly says his name is Dudley, yet it is transcribed as Simon! How can that happen??

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 22-10-22, 20:03
Administrator

Quote:
There is one where it clearly says his name is Dudley, yet it is transcribed as Simon! How can that happen??
Is it just him or does everyone in the household have the wrong forename? This can happen when the different columns - all transcribed separately because the transcribers were not allowed to see the whole page before the 100 years of closure were up - are not realigned correctly.

I've said this many times, but when the 1939 Register was released (transcribed in a similar fashion) my grandfather and the rest of his household all had the names of people several pages away and there was a total of 16 pages of names that were all out of place. That's just one set I found and it took FMP around 5 years to correct it!

Old 22-10-22, 21:18
Administrator

No, from memory he was living alone!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 22-10-22, 21:21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
No, from memory he was living alone!
So, what about the households either side?