Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 22-07-12, 16:32

I agree with "Alberd" in 1851 - interesting places of origin and father's occupation of boiler maker. 1841 looks good too, apart from "Alford's" age, though Elizabeth is shown as "born in county" but Edward senior is a boiler maker born in "foreign parts". In 1861 Edward senior has switched birthplace to Gloucestershire, though that might be the enumerator's mistake.

By 1871 Edward senior is married to Caroline (married 1869, Elizabeth having died in 1868). He now owns a Temperance Hotel, though he is still described as a boiler maker. They both die in 1875 (2 records apart) and Edward's probate record shows him as a Temperance Hotel keeper.

Last edited by Uncle John; 22-07-12 at 19:31. Reason: More information
Old 28-07-12, 21:45

Yes, Edward senior's birth place is a bit interesting - he was born in about 1813, and if you assume he was born in France, as a British subject, then the various other birth places given seem to make sense. Of course that was in the middle of the Napoleonic wars ..

I had had Edward senior's second marriage to Caroline down as a possible, but it's now a definite as I received their wedding cert today and it matches. He seems to have lied about his age a bit, as he was really 57 not 50, but as Caroline was only 32 that's possibly not too surprising!
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/Caroline.jpg

I think Edward and Caroline may have had two children. Lilly in 1869 who died young, and Henry John in 1871, or John Henry who may have died in 1938. Haven't found any children for Henry yet.

I missed on Edward senior's probate, do you know how I could find that please?

Also I received Sarah's wedding cert today - Sarah was Alfred Robert and Edward Junior's sister.
http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/Sarah.jpg

Last edited by pjlfairbrother; 28-07-12 at 22:28. Reason: added links
Old 28-07-12, 23:46

Uncle John:

My sister thought you should see this, as it has some stuff about Elizabeth Lidyard. It's not anywhere near finished yet, but her page does have some links.

http://www.zenadsl6186.zen.co.uk/Tree/ptables.html

Which begs the question - are there rules for who goes where on a family tree?

Last edited by pjlfairbrother; 29-07-12 at 15:04. Reason: added last question
Old 30-07-12, 22:56

"I missed on Edward senior's probate" - it's in the National Probate Calendar records on Ancestry and elsewhere. I haven't got the exact details to hand as I haven't got my tree loaded.

"Are there rules for who goes where on a family tree?" - I rely on Family Tree Maker and common sense! Some people have seriously intermarried families which can get a bit complicated. And second and third marriages can get complex when there are children from different marriages alll living together.

Thank you for the extra information and links, which I'll have a look at when I have a bit more time.
Old 31-07-12, 13:15

Edward Fairbrother of 2 Phippen Street, St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol Temperance Hotel keeper died 27 Aug 1875 proved Bristol 28 Oct 1875 Effects under £200

He is now "middle" Edward, since his father was also Edward. I didn't note the names of the executors, who weren't "family".