Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-09-13, 10:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
The letter says she has some property which she wants to leave to her son, but he is not mentioned at probate. I wonder if he ever wrote back.
In 1859, he was asked to contact his mother via John Drury. As John and Hannah Drury were accusing each other via the courts from 1859 until the separation was granted in 1862, what are the chances that John Drury passed on any letters from his estranged wife's illegitimate son?

Last edited by Shona; 18-09-13 at 10:37.
Old 18-09-13, 10:50

In 1851, Hannah Edwards is living in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, with her husband, William.

William Edwards, farmer, 56, b Great Rollright
Hannah Edwards, farmer's wife, 36, b Great Hazely
Ann Briant, niece, 5, b Great Rollright
Mary Cowley, servant, 14, b Long Compton, Warwickshire

Place of birth fits in with the 1861 census record Merry found.
Old 18-09-13, 19:57
Administrator

It is interesting because the letter says that John Drury was encouraging him to contact his mother, and yet they were living apart at the time, the letter also makes that clear. I wonder if he did ever contact her.
I imagine that the letter must have been very important to Robert to have been kept all this time.
I am pleased to have been able to prove the contents of the letter to be correct, there was no love lost between the writer of the letter and her brothers widow, so my first thought was she was making trouble with her nephew by telling him these things.
So thanks everyone for your help with this!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 24-02-20, 14:31

Christine,
I am researching the Eyes family and their connection to the Reay family, specifically Charles Lucas Reay, for a friend. Your information on Charles' purported "son" is very interesting and I would like to include it for my friend. Can you tell me where you found the letter from Maria Reay to Robert? Is it possible to get a copy of the letter with some documentation as to its provenance?

Thank you for your help,
Gail Colby
[email protected]
Old 24-02-20, 18:25
Administrator

Hi Gail,
I will need to look back on what information I have on Charles Reay. It is a long time since I looked at him, I was researching him as part of the Blain Biographical Directory of New Zealand and Pacifica, and then investigating further for our former Bishop who was looking at writing up his story. I think I obtained a copy of the letter from the bishop, and I am not sure where he obtained it, but if I check through all of my old emails, I may well find it. If I have a copy of the letter in my email file, and I am pretty sure he will have scanned it and sent it to me, I can forward it to you.

I will have a good rummage through the information I have this evening when I get home from work and get back to you.

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 25-02-20, 02:03

Thanks, Christine. I appreciate the help!
Old 25-02-20, 03:54
Administrator

I have found the copy of the letter and scanned it and sent it to the address on post #64. Hope it helps!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine