Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-04-12, 14:04

One think I have just thought of, with reading your last post again, My Dad always said his Grandfather spoke welsh.
Old 07-04-12, 14:11
Administrator

I don't know really - sometimes something comes along when you least expect it.

First you need to make a list of the possible birth registrations for him if he was registered with his correct name (I think there were around five or six possibles) and make sure they are all eliminated and make notes for yourself as to why they are not 'the one'. Then keep the list, as otherwise you will keep going round in circles.

You could also check Sheffield BMD to make sure the registrations they hold locally are the same as the ones listed by the GRO (not all registrations made the leap from the local office to the GRO)

I don't know if any Sheffield baptism records are available online (haven't looked) but if he was born in an institution they were usually keen for the child to be baptised soon after birth.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-04-12, 14:17
Administrator

Edward Benjamin Jones, b 1874 Sheffield, had father Edward but EBJ died in 1891 aged 16.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-04-12, 14:24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoemcdougall View Post
One think I have just thought of, with reading your last post again, My Dad always said his Grandfather spoke welsh.
As his first language?

Old 07-04-12, 14:38
Administrator

The later census records state English (not Welsh or Both) for his spoken language.

Old 07-04-12, 15:39

I don't know if welsh was his first language, just that my father remembers him speaking in Welsh. my aunt gave me a birth record entry with Volume No 9c page 595, but not convinced this is the right one?
Old 07-04-12, 16:52

I have just remembered something that he apparently he celebrated his birthday 1st Jan he apparently went to his Daughters in Prestatyn to celebrate it, but given alot about him don't add up, I'm totally not sure. things I'm certain of, is his name of his wife, children's names, lived at the Cambrian crossing, had a farm in Porthmadog, and then lived in a house in porthmadog called Trem Tecwyn, also which I had also forgotten that he gave a piece of land away to the local cricket team.
Old 07-04-12, 17:00
Administrator

Well, as he didn't admit to speaking Welsh at all when he personally completed the 1911 census form, I guess it certainly wasn't his first language!

Quote:
my aunt gave me a birth record entry with Volume No 9c page 595, but not convinced this is the right one?
That would be this one:

Births Mar 1876
Jones Edward Sheffield 9c 595

and I would have expected that registration to belong to the son of William and Mary Ann Jones who are living at Attercliffe cum Darnall in 1881. Their son Edward is aged 5 and b in Attercliffe which is in Sheffield District. However, it's never possible to be absolutely certain without the actual certificate in your hand!

Old 07-04-12, 17:14

Should I order this cert, I know I am cluching at straws, but he is the only one at is eluding me from family tree, With you giving me the name of William as a possible name for his father, I think maybe my aunt could be right as Edward's eldest child was called William but that maybe just a coincidence.
Old 07-04-12, 17:21

But then if William is his father why on the marriage cert it has the name of the father as
Edward, totally confused, he's a tricky character to find info on