Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-04-12, 10:41
Administrator

In 1901 he and his wife are in Llanwnnog. In 1891 there is a servant called Edward Jones aged 18 b Sheffield living at Tregynon which is less than five miles away. I would think this is fairly likely to be your Edward.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-04-12, 10:46
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoemcdougall View Post
Do you think I should order both of these cert to see which is the right one?, then it just leaves me with finding his birth entry, which is proving difficult
No!

Rather than ordering via the GRO I would use North Wales BMD and print off an application for one of those certs, then write on it that there is a choice of two certs, and note down the other one on the form. The registrars at the relevant office (I forget where it is now, but it's printed on the form) are very helpful. Tell them anything you know about him at death - occupation, name of spouse if she might have registered the death, name of anyone else who might have done so etc etc Where he might have been living if you know that. (the 'other' death will hopefully be in a different town within St Asaph district if you are lucky!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-04-12, 10:46

Thankyou Merry,

How do I go about finding his birth record? and finding out if there is any truth of him being in a workhouse or indeed an orphan, which my aunt seems to think,
Old 07-04-12, 10:49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
In 1901 he and his wife are in Llanwnnog. In 1891 there is a servant called Edward Jones aged 18 b Sheffield living at Tregynon which is less than five miles away. I would think this is fairly likely to be your Edward.
Or there's another one (they are both farm serants) at Cyfoeth y Brenin, Cardiganshire who is a couple of years younger. I've not worked out where that is yet though!!

Old 07-04-12, 10:56

Just got his marriage cert infront of me, he was residing in Bryncae Tregynon, there is a name after Bryncae but can't read what it says.
Old 07-04-12, 11:06
Administrator

Quote:
I am told that he had his birthday on 1st Jan.
Perhaps because he didn't know his birthday?

Old 07-04-12, 11:11
Administrator

I have to go out now, so not igoring you

Old 07-04-12, 11:13

You maybe right, so what do think I can do find his actual birth? sorry to ask all these questions but don't what to do, His youngest daughter is still alive but is asking to help her to find info on her father, I never knew him, but you would think his own daughter would know about her own father !!!!
Old 07-04-12, 14:35
Administrator

Quote:

Or there's another one (they are both farm servants) at Cyfoeth y Brenin, Cardiganshire who is a couple of years younger. I've not worked out where that is yet though!!
Cyfoeth y Brenin is in the parish of Llanfihangel-Geneu'r-y-Glyn (I think!). This is 25 miles from Llanwnnog, which doesn't preclude it being your Edward, though perhaps less likely. This chap is 17, not 14 as the transcription states, so we have one 17 and one 18, one close to the 1901 address and one not so close. I did wonder if they might even be the same person, if he was moving from one job to the other! The lad in Cyfoeth y Brenin says he speaks English and Welsh and the other one just English, but I guess that doesn't help much.

Still not having any luck with the 1881 census.

There are people on this forum who have been looking for births of individuals from this era for 20 or 30 years plus (including me!)! Some will probably never be found - but don't give up yet! lol

Old 07-04-12, 15:01

Thankyou Merry, What do you think I should do next?