Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 18-03-14, 17:35
Administrator

Do you know if there's any photographers info on the one of John and Rebecca.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-03-14, 17:58

the only information i was told was again the names on the back but no date.I cant understand how we had enough money to have a painitng of elizabeth .the whole family is a mystery. how could we afford for john to take his entire family to america plus his brother? and henry went too.in 1883.would you say john hairyes dresses like a man with money yet he was a cloth miller ! could william hairyes have had money somehow that he passed to his children.but he was only an ag labourer !
Old 18-03-14, 18:27
Administrator

People dressed up for the occasion (Sunday best or borrowed) when they had their photos taken. I have plenty of photos of people who would have been poorly paid looking quite glam in their photos!

I don't think John's clothes are too surprising. Rebecca's are typical for a dressed up working class woman, but she does look a bit young (I think they both do). For the clothing she should be well into her 40s, given when she was born, but she doesn't look that old - she'd had seven babies too!

Again it would be good to know more about the labelling of the pictures.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 18-03-14, 19:16

Hi Merry just spoke to my relative from america on facebook.She says that on the John Hairyes photo it says John and Rebecca Hairyes on back of the photo but no date unfortnatley. And the elizabeth hairyes is a photo of an original painting of Elizabeth Hogg that they own and it. hope this is of some help.

Last edited by zoenel; 18-03-14 at 19:26.
Old 18-03-14, 19:31
Administrator

Quote:
And the elizabeth hairyes is a photo of an original painting of Elizabeth Hogg
Are you saying it was painted before she married in 1867, so in her early 20s??

Old 18-03-14, 19:50

Hi Merry my relative didnt know when it was painted sorry unfortunatley just that it was an original painting of elizabeth hairyes(hogg) that they own.and photographed and sent to me
Old 18-03-14, 19:59
Administrator

It could be a painting that someone did based on a photo, couldn't it?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-03-14, 20:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
It could be a painting that someone did based on a photo, couldn't it?
Yes it could.

We have a painting hanging on the wall in our hall of OH's great-grandmother (1868-1947). It was painted in the 1890s in China as OH's great-grandfather was in the Royal Navy - He couldn't afford to have it painted in the UK but it was cheaper in the Far East. The image was taken from a photograph but the painter made the eyes brown instead of blue by mistake!

Old 18-03-14, 23:11

Hi everyone, just to confirm I just again spoke to my relative to night and she has confirmed the photos are 100% genunily the correct people elzabeth hairyes and john and rebbeca.That makes very happy ! So thankyou for your research on this.But im going to belive my relative and enjoy this rare moment and the photos.once again, I coulddnt have reached this stage without all your help,and its much appreactaited