Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-08-09, 15:45
Julie

Thanks OC & Nell

No i can't ask her, if you knew her you'll understand why but thanks anyway
Old 29-08-09, 21:41

I agree, I think that your Mum would probably like to talk about it now. Oh, just seen your last post, so it would seem out of the question. Sorry Julie.

This IS an extremely sensitive subject, and one which has many grey areas I think. What follows has nothing to do with the above question, but may be relevant to others, and if it upsets anybody then I will gladly remove the post.

My wicked stepmother from down below was a Nurse before, during and just after the war and she often used to talk about the babies who were born with little chance of survival, or who were too badly damaged for them at that time to do anything about. She said that they were carefully wrapped and put to one side and given no further attention whilst the parents were told that the child was stillborn, or died shortly after birth. Many of these babies lived for a few hours, albeit in an unconsious state, but I wonder whether they had a birth certificate?
Old 29-08-09, 23:08

If anyone is interested...........

In Australia the NSW Index has stillbirths listed in the "deaths" section. Not sure about the other states as they could be listed just as deaths of un-named people.
Old 29-08-09, 23:20

Sally

I have heard exactly the same story from a lady who was a hospital midwife in the 1950s and 60s.

OC