Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 07-01-20, 21:24

Default Gretna Green marriage

I’m researching my brother in laws tree and today I came across my very first Gretna Green marriage. The couple concerned were 17 and 18 in 1835.
They apparently ‘married again’ three months later at her local parish church in Carlisle.

Anyone come across many?
Old 07-01-20, 22:00
Administrator

None in my tree. I think I came across one when helping someone else, but don't really remember.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-01-20, 22:28

Not a Gretna Green marriage, but my 3 x ggf Daniel Urquhart was a blacksmith and performed marriages "at the anvil" before Scottish civil registration began. Annoyingly there seem to be no written records of such marriages so I don't know how rare they were.

OC
Old 07-01-20, 22:55

I only came across this one through Ancestry’s hints on the right side of the page.
Definitely the right couple.

Those hints also lead me to an 83 year old miner emigrating to Australia. I would never have thought to look for him there. I’d just have assumed his death was mistranscribed.
Old 11-01-20, 09:01

I have an irregular border marriage in 1847 at the Lamberton Toll near Berwick on Tweed - there is a book with terrible spellings that someone had access to who sent me the details. Unfortunately it didn't say who the parents were.
Old 23-01-20, 12:54

Some years ago, I was most surprised to find the 1810 Irregular Border Marriage of my 4x great grandparents recorded in the Coldstream Kirk Register. That sparse record lay between two regular marriages recorded on 16/11/1810 and 25/11/1810 but merely gave their names, showed they were both 'of this parish' and 'were married irregularly upon the 21st day of Jany 1810', with no venue shown.
Their first son was born on 5/11/1810 and it was clearly their wish to arrange his baptism
that had triggered this belated 'marriage record' at the Kirk.
It was well known then that if a couple wished to register their irregular marriage, that could only be done via the courts, either on a degree of declarator of any competent court, or on conviction before a Justice of the Peace of having contracted such a marriage, with the latter course more favoured as it cost less. It could not be registered merely by a register entry made by the Kirk Minister.
Possibly, the Minister implied that a baptism as their lawful son would not be possible without a record of their marriage even though he would have known well that irregular marriages were perfectly legal and it would follow that children of such marriages were lawful children of their parents.
I am very glad to have come across the entry but remain intrigued about the purpose of it in the Kirk register as it does not seem to fulfil any legal or Kirk requirement, and would welcome suggestions.

I do not know whether money crossed palms at Coldstream in 1810 over this, but the fact is their son was baptised as their lawful son at the Kirk on 25/11/1810.
Their irregular marriage most probably took place at another well known Scottish venue for Irregular Border Marriages, that of the Toll House for the Bridge across the Tweed at Coldstream.

merleyone
Old 23-01-20, 13:18

Merleyone

That is interesting and aren't such finds wonderful! I found a similar (baptism) in a completely random record of a small noncon church some 100 miles away from the event and I was astonished and delighted because I had been searching for about 30 years.

As to your question why it was recorded in the kirk register, I don't know, but would hazard a guess that it was something to do with the near obsession the kirk had with sexual morals and had been persuaded (?) bY the couple to make the entry to shut up anyone who questioned whether they were married or not!

OC