Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 04-09-19, 13:27

Default Aaarghh - transcriptions

I've found the perfect registers - Leeds St Peters burials are neat and detail who died ie Mary daughter (or wife etc) of John and Mary Smith. Everything you want in a register for the early 1800s.

Ancestry in their wisdom have transcribed all these records as Mary. No surnames. There are 66 Mary's who were born in 1829 and died within a 5 year period. Over 200 Mary's born in 1829 +/- 1 year.

All I wanted was to know when Mary Ann Taylor died and I have such a good time frame as her sister Mary Ann was born in 1834. The wonderful minister gives dates of birth and baptism.

All this after I spent 45 minutes finding a census entry on ancestry after having found it on FMP. Ancestry transcribed Taylor as Ingh and you can no longer search by folio, page etc.
Old 04-09-19, 14:07
Administrator

Quote:
and you can no longer search by folio, page etc.
On Ancestry? Yes you can!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-09-19, 14:14
Administrator

You didn't say who her parents were! Robert and Susannah?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-09-19, 14:48
Administrator

Ah, I just looked at the Ingh census and I see head of house is Susannah, so if Robert and Susannah are who you are looking for, the burial for their first Mary Ann is 22 Dec 1833.

Just noticed we are not on the research board, so maybe you had the answers anyway?

I just checked that the search facility is still the same for the 1841 census. Yes, Hundred, Piece, Folio, Page Number, Book are all still there

Old 04-09-19, 15:05

I had the same query the other day from someone on another forum. If you are searching UK census first select which census, say 1891 - then scroll down and choose the country eg England.
Old 05-09-19, 01:30

Yes Merry that is the family and thank you for the death date. How did you find it? I was going through all the Marys and checking but adding surnames in as I went.

Also how do you search via folio, page etc? I looked but couldn't find anything.

PS I wasn't actually asking for help, although it is gratefully received. I was just having a whinge at all the burials missing surnames.
Old 05-09-19, 07:54
Administrator

22 Dec is the burial date, not the death date! I found it by clicking each Mary Ann until I found one named Taylor, which I think was the sixth one out of just over 50 Mary Ann* entries. I stopped there!

Kat's method above works for the census search page. I usually just enter the name I'm looking for on the main search page and then when the results come up, switch to Categories. If I then select one of the census collections, when I click edit, the search filters on the next screen include the things you were looking for (folio, page etc).

Old 05-09-19, 23:12

My search list came in a different order to yours, otherwise I would have found it. I also knew it was a burial date, but clearly my fingers did not. lol

I don't know what I did with the census search but it didn't work for me. I'll have to try again to find the filters.