Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Grandparent

Old 14-09-19, 00:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
One thing is for sure, the facts he gives us himself, name, date of birth and place of birth cannot all be accurate. The question is, are any of these 'facts' correct and if any of them are, which ones?!

I feel there much be some definite connection to Rotherham, even if he wasn't actually born there. His date of birth may not be correct, but it may be the date he believed he was born. His name would appear to be the least reliable information.

The forename Peter was fairly uncommon for the time, whist Harrison is much more common. Presumably this is the name he used when he joined the army in Dec 1903, but it seems it was not the name he was using in 1901 or before that.

Why did he change his name? He was 18 when he joined up so it wasn't because he needed to remain hidden if someone came looking for him. It could have been "because he wasn't wanted", but going by a completely new name seems quite drastic (many others must have had bad childhoods, but didn't change their names) Another reason could be that he was on the run from the police or some other authority.

Did he change both surname and forename or just one? Was the name he changed to significant in any way? I think we've probably looked at all the Peter's who were born in Rotherham around 1885!

And that’s the summary of the mystery Merry

I also think I’ve checked out all of the male Harrison’s born in the Rotherham area around 1885

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 14-09-19 at 00:32.
Old 14-09-19, 08:00
Administrator

Quote:
I also think I’ve checked out all of the male Harrison’s born in the Rotherham area around 1885
I agree. And people called Harris.

Plus those in the same regiment with army numbers 8000-8010 in case they were with a friend from Rotherham in 1901!

Yesterday I looked on FMP at all the Rotherham (and close by) baptisms for male children that have 22 July 1885 as the date of birth (not very many), but all those were accounted for in 1911. Of course there are plenty of baptisms that don't have a dob recorded. I probably should have looked at the 22 Jul 1884 and 1886 birth dates too, but I didn't.

I think I started looking at male children listed as pauper or inmate in 1891, but only if they were registered in Q3 1885 in Rotherham District. I think I stopped when some had very common names, so I wasn't sure when they were registered or if I was looking at the same person in 1911. Of course I should have made a list of the ones I did eliminate!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-09-19, 13:49

Quote:
I agree. And people called Harris.

Plus those in the same regiment with army numbers 8000-8010 in case they were with a friend from Rotherham in 1901!

Yesterday I looked on FMP at all the Rotherham (and close by) baptisms for male children that have 22 July 1885 as the date of birth (not very many), but all those were accounted for in 1911. Of course there are plenty of baptisms that don't have a dob recorded. I probably should have looked at the 22 Jul 1884 and 1886 birth dates too, but I didn't.

I think I started looking at male children listed as pauper or inmate in 1891, but only if they were registered in Q3 1885 in Rotherham District. I think I stopped when some had very common names, so I wasn't sure when they were registered or if I was looking at the same person in 1911. Of course I should have made a list of the ones I did eliminate!
Covered his tracks well didn’t he.
Old 14-09-19, 14:02

A thought;

Father in law told me that some people down the pit and in the local Working Men’s Club used to refer to him as ‘the little Italian’. Apparently he didn’t like this and denied it furiously. In fact father in law met an Italian girl when he was in Italy in WW2 and wanted to marry her and his father was livid and refused to have him home again if he did. The dutiful son did as he was told.
He obviously didn’t like Italians.

DNA results show me as 100% English, elder daughter 97% English and 3% Irish, younger daughter shows as 85% English, 5% Irish, 8% French and 2% Italian.

So, there’s for Foreign blood there somewhere and it’s not my side. Irish is possibly my mother in law as her Stanbridge’s from Oxfordshire was Catholic. I’ve not found an Irish link yet but the Catholic records for the area are sparse. OH Year’s ago went to the area and saw the priest and got very little. It’s pre census I’d need.

Was Peter Italian or part Italian, or even French?
Old 14-09-19, 14:21
Administrator

Do you think he looked as if he came from one of those countries?

I can't see him divulging anything about his origins to his workmates, so they would have to have guessed, be they right or wrong.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-09-19, 15:28

Quote:
Do you think he looked as if he came from one of those countries?

I can't see him divulging anything about his origins to his workmates, so they would have to have guessed, be they right or wrong.
I never met him of course and Dave was only 9 when he died.

I wouldn’t know what to look for to think he did look French or Italian

I’ll sort out some photos, I even think there may be a coloured one somewhere. Would it be ok to email them to you Merry when I do? I have your email address.
Old 14-09-19, 16:10
Administrator

Of course!!

Thanks

Old 14-09-19, 16:18

Quote:
Of course!!

Thanks
Maybe you can work out how to put them on here. I've forgotten. Everyone on them is dead.

Be with you soon.

Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 14-09-19 at 16:22.
Old 14-09-19, 16:22

Photos sent
Old 14-09-19, 16:54
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
A thought;

Father in law told me that some people down the pit and in the local Working Men’s Club used to refer to him as ‘the little Italian’. Apparently he didn’t like this and denied it furiously. In fact father in law met an Italian girl when he was in Italy in WW2 and wanted to marry her and his father was livid and refused to have him home again if he did. The dutiful son did as he was told.
He obviously didn’t like Italians.

DNA results show me as 100% English, elder daughter 97% English and 3% Irish, younger daughter shows as 85% English, 5% Irish, 8% French and 2% Italian.

So, there’s for Foreign blood there somewhere and it’s not my side. Irish is possibly my mother in law as her Stanbridge’s from Oxfordshire was Catholic. I’ve not found an Irish link yet but the Catholic records for the area are sparse. OH Year’s ago went to the area and saw the priest and got very little. It’s pre census I’d need.

Was Peter Italian or part Italian, or even French?
Well the Muggins and the Wallaby mysteries were solved with a lot of hard work so there isn't any reason why Peter's can't be solved although he has left a few clues we don't know which ones are true.

In my experience there will be some nuggets of truth in there somewhere, the facts may be jumbled but the clues are in there somewhere because people can never shed all their life, they always keep and cling on to some of it.

Tags
togp4