Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-09-19, 16:07
Administrator

Quote:
I have looked on Lancashire bmd , but some of the entry's have no mmn to confirm .so it's difficult .
In some instances it can be more helpful to use the GRO index here:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/

As a rule mmn is listed unless the birth is illegitimate.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-09-19, 08:55

Thanks
Old 23-02-20, 05:51

hi ,I know these posts are a while ago , but i'm trying to follow the children of Henry and elizabeth burrows :- Henry , George ,Mary alice and ellen Burrows . can anyone help me to trace perhaps their marriages etc , did the boys survive the war ? thanks
Old 23-02-20, 08:20
Administrator

It would have been helpful if you had posted their birth registrations and where you have them up to so far, to save people a lot of time. Also the maiden name of their mother and anything else you already know that is relevent to the search.

Having spent a while reading back, this is the information that is needed to search:

Henry Burrows married Elizabeth Eccleston in 1873 in Prescot.

Their children:

You don't mention William, so presumably you already have what you need about him.

Next are:

BURROWS, JAMES ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1875 M Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 666

(but you don't mention James, so are you finished with him?)

BURROWS, MARY ALICE ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1879 D Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 828

BURROWS, GEORGE ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1882 J Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 884

BURROWS, ELLEN ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 878

BURROWS, HENRY ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1887 M Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 824

For the 1911 census Elizabeth Burrows stated she has been married 38 years and has seven children, six of whom were still living at that date. We don't know if she included William (she shouldn't have, as he was born before the marriage) but most likely she did include him, so we are missing one child (minimum).

I've just looked through the birth registration indexes, but can't find any further children.

Unfortunately getting this far has taken all the free minutes I had available, so will come back later and see what's happening!

Please would you post up which censuses you have the various children on. Have you found any of their marriages or deaths from FreeBMD or Lancs OPC etc?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 23-02-20, 09:36
Administrator

In 1901 the family have a daughter, Alice Burrows, aged 5 months. This child is actually a granddaughter, but maybe they considered her their child because she was illegitimate. She died just after the 1901 census. Whether she is one of the supposed seven children of Elizabeth can probably be established by working out whether any of the other children had died by 1911. If none of them had, then she is possibly the "one dec'd" child and also one of the seven born. If one of the other children had died then she is presumably not included in those stats.

BURROWS, ALICE BRIERS mmn -
GRO Reference: 1900 D Quarter in PRESCOT Volume 08B Page 754

Deaths Sep 1901
Burrows Alice Briers 0 Prescot 8b 573

Briers is the surname of the family living next door in 1901.

Old 23-02-20, 14:20
Administrator

Ah, I've found the missing dec'd child of Henry and Elizabeth now. Turns out they had two daughters names Mary Alice. This is the first:

BURROWS, MARY ALICE ECCLESTON
GRO Reference: 1877 J Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 804

BURROWS, MARY ALICE 1
GRO Reference: 1878 S Quarter in ORMSKIRK Volume 08B Page 596

Old 25-02-20, 08:59
Administrator

Mary Alice Burrows was still with her parents in 1901.

I don't think she is the Mary Alice Burrows who married William Evans in 1905, as that Mary matches one born in Warrington, also in 1879.

Old 25-02-20, 10:06
Administrator

In 1911 there's a female single M A Burrows aged 30, lunatic, in Rainhill County Asylum in St Helens. Says she was born in Ormskirk, so may or may not be your Mary Alice.

There's also this death:

BURROWS, MARY ALICE 77
GRO Reference: 1955 J Quarter in ST. HELENS Volume 10F Page 403

But you definitely cannot say either of these entries are your relative without further investigation. There are several Mary Alice Burrows and a lot of Mary A (most of these are probably Mary Ann) who these entries may belong to (married and unmarried in 1911 and 1939) and the one in the Asylum may not even be a Mary.

Old 25-02-20, 10:33
Administrator

Ellen may have married James Cardwell in 1908. This couple are together in 1911 and she is the right age and birthplace.

This could also be her:

Deaths Ellen Cardwell abt 1885 Jan 1937 Jan-Feb-Mar St Helens Lancashire

There is a James Cardwell of the right age still in St Helens in 1939. He is married to Mary.

This could be the same couple:

BAXTER Mary CARDWELL James 1938 St. Helens Register Office or Registrar Attended St Helens RM/7/111

But again, though these entries fit - I cannot be certain they are for your Ellen etc.

Old 29-02-20, 07:08

hi ,Thanks for all your hard work you are a treasure ! so kind of you to help . ??