Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 25-06-14, 09:03
Administrator

Default Samuel and Martha Ames

Can anyone find any burial records (or anything else to fill in below) for Samuel and Martha Ames nee Bostock?

This is what I have so far......

Martha Bostock bap 1758 Barthomley, Cheshire, dau of William Bostock

Samuel Ames birth details unknown

Samuel may have married Mary Baddeley of Sandbach Cheshire in 1781. This Samuel was 'of Lawton'. This couple had a dau, Mary, bap at Church Lawton, Cheshire in 1782. Mum and dau would need to die if the next part is the same Samuel,but I can't find burials for them....

My Samuel married Martha Bostock (no condition given) by banns at Barthomley, Cheshire 15 Jul 1783. Both otp.

They then had these children bap at Church Lawton:

Luke 6 Jun 1784 (bur 14 Sep 1786)
Mary 24 Dec 1786
Sarah 8 Mar 1789
Ann 13 May 1792

Then they moved to Staffordshire and there was another dau baptised, at Alrewas:

Elizabeth 9 Aug 1795

Mary Ames (1786) and Sarah Ames (1789) were both married at Lichfield Staffs in 1806. There are possible marriages for Elizabeth and Ann there too (Eliz 1822 to Joseph Wright and Ann 1827 to Philip John Wright*), so it would seem likely the family stayed in that area.

* issue with this marriage I've just noticed......are these two entries, below, both for the same marriage? (one banns, the other the actual marriage perhaps?). Note the change in the groom's name.

Name: Ann Ames
Marriage Date: 26 Feb 1827
Marriage Place: Saint Michael, Lichfield, Stafford
Spouse: Phillip John Wright
FHL Film Number: 435792

Name: Ann Ames
Marriage Date: 5 Feb 1827
Marriage Place: Holy Cross, Lichfield, Stafford
Spouse: John Wright
FHL Film Number: 1967084

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 25-06-14, 15:15
Administrator

Googling for Holy Cross, Lichfield, it seems to be an RC church? So I don't think the banns would be called there, but maybe they married at churches of both denominations?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 25-06-14, 16:56
Administrator

So it is!

Quote:
The Catholic Chapel, Holy Cross, at the south end of John Street, is a neat Gothic building of brick, erected in 1802, by the Rev John Kirk DD, who has been priest here for 54 years, and is now assisted by the Rev Joseph Parke. The chapel was enlarged and the tower rebuilt in 1843."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
So, no banns there as you said! May explain why I couldn't find any baptisms of children for this couple which is just another barrier to working out who they are on the census (if they lived that long)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 26-06-14, 06:51
Administrator

Holy Cross baps are on ancestry. There's several baps for children of John (not Philip John) and Ann.

One is Caroline bap 1830 which led me to this family group in 1841:

John Wright 53
Ann Wright 50
Caroline Wright 10
Arthur Wright 8
Philip Wright 57
Isabella Wright 75
Mary Solt 15

will have to look at this later...............

Old 26-06-14, 07:24
Administrator

Hmmmm, Mrs Ann Wright says she was b in Burton in 1851 not Church Lawton, Cheshire! No time to look further now......