Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 03-02-18, 07:20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwackers View Post
There is also a marriage in 1868 for a James Moss to Jane ainscough at St. John's Pemberton .
Quote:
Could this potentially his wife , I'm unsure now who he married . The family in white st his him as the address on the census suggests it there . So I'm sure it's them . Now to establish the wife's name ? Thanks for all your help
I don't understand what you are saying above.

James Moss junior, (the one who married a Jane (Whalley) wasn't born until 1887 so he can't have married in 1868. His father was married to a Margaret (Leicester), so I don't see why you would think the Moss/Ainscough marriage would belong to that James either.

Going back the beginning - you seem unsure as to the identity of your Jane grandmother (was her surname Whalley or something else?) - you need to positively identify the birth certificate of your parent who was their child (sorry, I don't know if that's your mother or your father!) as the birth certificate will have your parent's mother's maiden name on it. Is that Whalley or something else? If it's something else then we have been looking at the wrong people from the start of this thread, as in post #1 you stated:

Quote:
I know he married Jane Whalley in approx 1906 at Wigan register office .

So, what is the mother's maiden name on your Moss parent's birth certificate?

If I've completely got the wrong end of the stick, maybe you could explain what you meant in post #29?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-02-18, 07:40

Hi , yes you suggested that James 's father James married into the Leicester family , but he could have also married a Jane Ainscough in 1868 , there marriage took place in st Johns Pemberton which is in that area . It's only a suggestion . As now I am trying to establish the mothers maiden name of James born 1887 . As there are quite a few options , as this name is very common to the area . The census of 1901 looks fine I think that is the right family . So I hope that clarifys what I'm saying . James moss could have died in 1932 so that may be a clue thanks
Old 03-02-18, 07:47

Hi , yes I do know what my grandmas name was , yes it is Jane Whalley , I've got the marriage certificate as I have stated so that isn't an issue . I'm trying to find out who was James mosses mother because there are potentially quite a few and in that area of Pemberton . I was born there and it isn't a big place .the names are quite common ones . I'm only also suggesting that James ' s father could have married a Jane Ainscough in 1868 at St. John's Pemberton her name could ne Margeret Jane . The church is quite close to what was a small village outside of Wigan hope this helps
Old 03-02-18, 08:04
Administrator

Quote:
I think my grandmother remarried after James moss died in 1932 , I believe that's him , he never recovered from the war and shell shock I think he died in Orrell . No Pemberton my grandma married a Tom Atherton but I don't know what year , I remember him from being a child , as I never met my grandfather James . If this is any help thanks
This could be the remarriage for your grandmother:

Marriages Dec 1943
Atherton Thomas Moss Ince 8c 165
Moss Jane Atherton Ince 8c 165

In which case she should be widow Jane Moss on the 1939 register.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to positively identify her as yet in 1939.

You said you remember her.....Might this be her death?

Deaths Jun 1953
ATHERTON Jane 67 Ince 10c 462

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-02-18, 08:10
Administrator

Quote:
Hi , yes you suggested that James 's father James married into the Leicester family , but he could have also married a Jane Ainscough in 1868 , there marriage took place in st Johns Pemberton which is in that area . It's only a suggestion . As now I am trying to establish the mothers maiden name of James born 1887 . As there are quite a few options , as this name is very common to the area . The census of 1901 looks fine I think that is the right family . So I hope that clarifys what I'm saying . James moss could have died in 1932 so that may be a clue thanks
OK I understand what you mean now.

This is his birth reg:

MOSS, JAMES mmn LEICESTER
GRO Reference: 1887 D Quarter in WIGAN Volume 08C Page 137

If you look back at posts #22 #23 #25 and #26 you will see Kate has identified the correct census for your James junior and then cross referenced the info on those censuses with the birth registrations to be sure there are matches for all the siblings recorded on the census. That's how we know Leicester is the right mother's name and not anything else.

Old 03-02-18, 08:19
Administrator

Also, there are no birth registrations for a James Moss with mmn Ainscough between 1885 and 1890 in Wigan district.

I have identified James Moss and Jane Ainscough in 1871 (from the birth reg of their dau Isabella who is with them on that census) and that James was around 8 years younger than your James senr plus of course, your James and Margaret can be seen with the Lester/Leicester family at that date.

Old 03-02-18, 08:22
Administrator

Here is your family in 1871:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...nSearchResults

(Leicester's nextdoor)

Do you have a sub for Ancestry or fmp? If not I will need to type that out.

Old 03-02-18, 08:46

Sorry I don't but once again you have been truly helpful , Your a star ????????????
Old 03-02-18, 08:50

Hi , regarding my grandma Jane athertons death she died in the 1970s she was over 80 years old in Orrell that's where she was living near to where she was born in Upholland
Old 03-02-18, 12:01
Administrator

Quote:
Hi , regarding my grandma Jane athertons death she died in the 1970s she was over 80 years old in Orrell that's where she was living near to where she was born in Upholland
Ok, so ignore the death reg in post #34.

If she died at home (in Orrell) then that's in Ince district between 1936 and the end of Q1 1974 and Wigan district from Q2 1974. Did she die at home or in hospital?

If she died at home then there are these possible registrations, birth to within two years of 1888 and death to within five years of 1975;

Deaths Jun 1972
ATHERTON Jane 19Oc1888 Ince 10c 1051

Deaths Mar 1978
ATHERTON JANE 13OC1888 WIGAN 39 2811

Deaths Sep 1979

ATHERTON JANE 15MR1889 WIGAN 39 2189

None of those dates of birth have helped me to find Jane on the 1939 register, where she should be Jane Moss, so I can't tie down which is the right death. Maybe you would know if she died in 1972 aged 83, but the other two are probably going to be too difficult to separate from memory only!!

What were Jane's father's details on the 1908 marriage cert?