Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-04-11, 21:11

He must have managed to reinvent himself pretty successfully, because another daughter, Fanny, married someone who's listed in the "Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal":

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=u...urd%22&f=false

It looks as though his wife Elizabeth was the daughter of James and Mary Grout. Elizabeth seems to have had a brother, Joseph, who was almost a contemporary of James Williams (b. 1816), went to Cambridge and became an England cricketer.
Old 05-04-11, 22:03

Just realised that Joseph Grout's will's on the TNA site, so I should think it'll be worth downloading:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...&Edoc_Id=46940
Old 06-04-11, 07:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
A bit late and probably irrelevant but I was under the impression that illegitimate persons could NOT become C of E clergy.

Either Mr Grout was an exceedingly kind chap, adopting the son in law to give him a respectable background, OR...Mr Grout was his real daddy/real daddy's agent. I know which scenario I prefer!

OC
Canon law was that illegitimates could not be ordained but amongst the colonial clergy I have found a number. I assume that the Bishop had to know and decide to ordain the man anyway. There is no way of knowing how many were not ordained because of illegitimacy. Some were quite open about their parentage, there is at least one I can think of who was taken under the wing of a wealthy sponsor, as this man appears to be.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 06-04-11, 08:04

Christine

That's interesting and I suppose it always depended on who your natural father was...if he was Joe Bloggs the pigman, you possibly didn't get a look in, but if he was Lord Posh, well, money smoothed the way!

OC
Old 06-04-11, 08:17

Its odd, Tring Park ( I know it well, its now a stage school) has pretty mmuch always been the home of the Rothchild family - your bloke doesn't get a mention in the history at all

oh, just found another little snippet
Local landowner Joseph Grout Williams commissioned architect John Lion to build a new Tudor style Manor in 1872. He then occupied the Manor from 1875 until 1983, when the racehorse owner and commentator Dorian Williams sold the property to The Grass Roots Company.

Last edited by JessBow; 06-04-11 at 08:22.
Old 06-04-11, 08:39

He must have been exceptionally long-lived in that case
Old 06-04-11, 09:03

Land tax in the early 1800s - Norfolk coverage quite good - would show owners and occupiers of land.
Old 06-04-11, 09:08
Administrator

To be honest, illegitimacy is nothing compared to some of the things I have discovered since I have been researching clergy, off the top of my head I can think of bigamy, arson, fraud, cross-dressing, homosexuality, housekeepers with children or married within days of a wifes death, I can't remember murder, but there are a few who got through a number of wives........
They were an interesting lot!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 06-04-11, 09:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
To be honest, illegitimacy is nothing compared to some of the things I have discovered since I have been researching clergy, off the top of my head I can think of bigamy, arson, fraud, cross-dressing, homosexuality, housekeepers with children or married within days of a wifes death, I can't remember murder, but there are a few who got through a number of wives........
They were an interesting lot!

WELL.....One of the Clarks was clergy...say no more....lol
Old 06-04-11, 12:54
Administrator

lol everyone!

OC, Joseph Grout must have 'adopted' James Williams a long time before James married, if he paid for his education, so I think there's some chance there was some sort of blood tie! Sadly I have not been able to find any legitimate children for Joseph Grout in order to discover his whereabouts when James Williams was born.

Jess, I agree there's no mention of Joseph grout in the history of Tring Park. I think he was there before the Rothschilds got hold of it.

Mary, I added the brother of Elizabeth Grout to my tree yesterday (Joseph 1816), but hadn't researched him yet. OH will want him to be a relative if he was a cricketer! lol I just looked at the connection to The Plantagenet Roll of the Blood Royal - doesn't seem it did Fanny any good as she died soon after.

Phoenix, I will only investagate land tax stuff if these people turn out to be my relatives, as I don't know that yet!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010