Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 05-04-11, 15:27
Administrator

Default Q about C of E vicars

BK6 updated from this thread

Did one have to have a degree from Oxbridge to 'qualify' as a vicar (or whatever the correct term is/was) in the 1840s?

James Williams was bap in 1813 at Mulbarton Norfolk in 1813. The entry is on FreeREG and it states his mother was Sarah Williams and his father's occ was 'servant'. His mother was presumably unmarried and the baptism was a conducted privately.

Zoom forward to 1840 and James Williams marries my 'relative' (I'm working on that!) Elizabeth Grout. His occ on the marriage cert is Clergyman. His bride is the dau of James Grout, gent, and for his own father is written "Joseph Grout, by adoption, gent". Joseph was brother to James Grout, making James Williams an adopted 1st cousin of his bride.

James Williams and Elizabeth are living with Joseph Grout in 1841 and 1851 and in 1851 are described as Joseph's niece and nephew. James is "without care of souls" in 1851 and 1861 (have not looked further)

He is in Crockford's in 1864 but it says nothing about him except Tring Park, Herts which was where he lived (very grand!).

Does it seem likely he was in the care of Joseph Grout for some years in order to have become a clergyman? I am wondering if Joseph was his real father.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-04-11, 15:43
Administrator

For a Victorian James had an 'unfortunate' start to life - but he ended up with an estate valued at under £500,000 in 1871.

Not bad.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 05-04-11, 17:17

There is this on Wikipaedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ch...ation_1790.jpg

It suggests no formal training.
Old 05-04-11, 17:27
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
James Williams was bap in 1813 at Mulbarton Norfolk in 1813. The entry is on FreeREG and it states his mother was Sarah Williams and his father's occ was 'servant'. His mother was presumably unmarried and the baptism was a conducted privately.
Mulbarton PR's don't seem to be in the Norfolk images on FamilySearch, unfortunately, but I would bet it means that Sarah's occupation was "servant", not the father's occupation (assuming his father isn't named on the baptism?) I've seen plenty of illegitimate baptisms where "singlewoman" or "widow" is written in the father's occupation column.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-04-11, 17:46
Administrator

I thought of that whilst I was telling OH about it, Kate! Thanks.

That's interesting, Phoenix. So they didn't need to be a Dr of Divinity or a Dr of Theology then? I don't know where I got the idea they did; maybe just because the one little line of vicars I have on my tree all have these qualifications.

Now I just need to work out how come one brother make so much money when the others were all harness makers and saddlers?

Old 05-04-11, 18:58
Administrator

Ah I see in a newspaper marriage notice for James Williams it says he is a BA.

Old 05-04-11, 19:03
Administrator

There were 2 "classes" of clergy. Certainly early on an Oxbridge degree was the only way to get there, but then in the early 1800s there were colleges set up to train "working" clergy. And horrors, some of them even took married men!
I have a vague memory that the working type colleges were mainly in the north, but that may be because St Bees is the one that comes to mind.

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 05-04-11, 19:16

OH has a RC priest in his family. He was a student at Cotton College, Staffordshire in 1901
Old 05-04-11, 19:21
Administrator

Thanks Chris.

I'm now supposing James 'adopted' father paid for his education as well as leaving him a fortune. I wish I could find out where Joseph Grout was living in 1813.

Old 05-04-11, 20:06

I guess you already know that James and Elizabeth's daughter Frederica was buried in Italy?