Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-04-12, 19:34
Administrator

Thanks Charles - I think I had worked most of that out However......

Quote:
One factor driving his interest was that although happily married since 1801 to Elizabeth Clark - there were no children.
Was Elizabeth Clark the maiden name of widow Elizabeth Miller who married a Joseph Grout on 1st Sept 1801 at St John's Hackney? I had pencilled this in as his marriage mainly based on the fact the marriage was by licence and one of the witnesses was a Brown!

If that is the right marriage I'd be interested to know who Elizabeth's first husband was.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-04-12, 21:00

Hi Merry,

In "A Year at Chequers..." It states that Joseph Grout married Elizabeth Clark at St Dunstans Stepney in 1801. - Those responsible for that research are no longer with us so I can't give you a definitive answer. I do know that the work was done with some care. But that does not preclude mistakes.

Charles
Old 11-04-12, 22:35
Administrator

Thanks for that, Charles.

The marriage I mentioned 1st Sept 1801 did actually take place at St Dunstan's Stepney. It was the groom who was of the parish of St John's Hackney - my mistake when copying my notes. The bride was definitely Elizabeth Miller (widow). It's possible there was some further info in the banns or on the marriage licence or allegation etc. Given the church is the right one and the year is right too, I'm think this must be the right marriage. I think it would be quite difficult (impossible??) to trace Elizabeth's history as Miller and Clark are both farly commonplace names!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 15-10-15, 04:33

Hello again - I am reopening this thread because I have just put two and two together and ...... Re Elizabeth Clark. If this maiden name is correct, she could well have been the sister of Susanna Clark who married Joseph Grout's brother Thomas (4 Feb 1801 St Luke's Finsbury). In searching for a possible baptism/birth record for Susanna, I found a Baptism at St Luke Finsbury on 3 Nov 1780 to parents John Clark and (Hannah) Margaret.
I then found another Baptism for Elizabeth Clark at same Church to same parents on 8 Feb 1784. While this COULD be the Elizabeth Clark we want, it would mean that she was a Widow aged 17 when she married Joseph Grout. I am also wondering if 1838 was her correct date of death? Any death record? Jenny from Aus
Old 15-10-15, 07:33
Administrator

I had noticed the surname match, but Clark is such a common name I'd not tried to connect them.

I have Elizabeth Clark b abt 1763. Then a marriage 26 Oct 1789 to William Miller at Holborn St Sepulchre. One of the witnesses is a James Cark.

There's a possible will: PCC will for William Miller of St John Hackney, Middlesex, signed 9 Dec 1793 and proved 31 Jan 1794. I've not found a burial though. This William Miller has a wife Elizabeth, but mentions no children. One of the witnesses is a James Clark.

And then the marriage to Joseph Grout:

1st Sept 1801 at St Dunstan and All Saints, Stepney
By Licence to Elizabeth Miller, widow
Witnesses James Moston ?? and Eleanor Brown
Joseph is described as of St John's Hackney

I think the 1838 burial for Elizabeth Grout is the right one as her address is given as Stamford Hill which is where Joseph was living in 1841.

Old 19-10-20, 06:50

Re Joseph Grout in 1813 He and brother George had turned away from family occupation of Saddlers, Harness Makers etc and had founded the product of silk crepe. They joined with Baylis brothers and set up Grout and Baylis in Norwich and Enfield ( Grouts also there as saddlers).
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Grout_and_Baylis
I also have a marriage for Joseph Grout to a widow Elizabeth Miller at St Dunstan, Stepney in 1801. Wasn't sure it was 'our' Joseph Grout until looked closely at witnesses and it was James Williams (and Eleanor Brown)
There's lots of info about the Grout crepe/crape mills on Google.
Old 19-10-20, 06:51

Sorry, you have the marriage above but double check the witness. I think it is James Williams. No, I've taken another close look at the image and it isn't Williams. As well he wasn't born until 1816

Last edited by Jenthec; 19-10-20 at 07:21.
Old 19-10-20, 08:02
Administrator

Quote:
also have a marriage for Joseph Grout to a widow Elizabeth Miller at St Dunstan, Stepney in 1801. Wasn't sure it was 'our' Joseph Grout
I just had a look at the signatures of Elizabeth Clark in 1789 and Elizabeth Miller in 1801 to compare them. I am often quite dubious about using this as 'proof' of anything, but in this case at least the signatures are pretty similar, in particular the slope of the writing.