Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 17-10-20, 06:59
Administrator

I think it may have depended on when and where you married as to exactly what happened with the records. An 'original' certificate would be given to the bride and groom. I have several of these and they all have original signatures of the whole congregation.

The instructions given to Quaker meetings after 1753 state that 'a full copy of the certificate (including witness names) should be kept with the registers'. I think it's likely this instruction was complied with in different ways!

I have just looked at Ancestry's records to compare with the original certs I hold. One of them is an exact copy in as much as all the witness names are recorded, but they are all in the same hand. Two others are signed by just a handful of the number of people on my copy, but they are original signatures and on Ancestry's version those few people have included their town of residence and occupation, which are not recorded on my copy. Another two have all the signatures and they are all original and signed in the same order (I think!) as my copy, suggesting the two documents were probably created at the same time.

My comments only relate to pre-1837 records as, though I have two or three more Quaker marriage certs from after 1837, I don't have anything to compare them to.

There's further info here:

https://www.qfhs.co.uk/public_html/r....htm#Registers

with some links to other pages that may tell you more. I haven't looked!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-10-20, 07:07
Administrator

Read the parts about registers and digests of BMDs further down the linked page in my last post.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 17-10-20, 14:29

What lovely thing to have on display, Merry. Last year I had the only known image of my favourite

ancestor framed as a birthday present to myself. The original is owned by yhe Royal College of Music &

they let me use it for an article, so I naughtily had it enlarged before taking it to the framers who did

a brilliant job. Fave now has pride of place on living room wall.
Old 17-10-20, 15:30
Administrator

That's lovely vita!

Old 18-10-20, 01:15

The most I have is six witnesses - first 2 only 2 witnesses but the third one the one.

On 31 Aug 1808, Charlotte Bennett married Joseph Rawlings at St Mary, Whitelackington Somerset. Witnesses Aaron Bennett (brother), Sophia Rawlings (sister)

On the same day at the same church, William Bennett married Elizabeth Waldron - witnesses James Rawlings and Mary Bennett (sister).

On 19 April 1810 at St John, Frome, Somerset, William Bennett married Sophia Rawlings their witnesses were - C Bennett, J Bennett, Miriam Bennett (sister of Aaron and Charlotte), F Rawlings, D Rawlings and J Rawlings.

I have not been able to figure out if the William Bennetts are the same person, but given the witnesses, it seems likely. Elizabeth Waldron has the same surname as Charlotte and Willliam's mother (Rebecca Waldron) but I have not been able to find the connection as many of them were non-conformists.

Last edited by marquette; 18-10-20 at 05:57.
Old 18-10-20, 02:03

Thanks, Merry.
Old 18-10-20, 15:32

Envious, the most I've had is four. Often the witnesses are illegible. I think they should have to print their names and also state how they are connected to the bride/groom ie whether relatives or not. Would save a lot of sleuthing!

I have two great-great-great aunts, who were married within 2 months of eachother, their weddings are consecutive in the marriage register and they witnessed for eachother. I assume they were eachother's bridesmaid/maid of honour. They were close as the son of one married the daughter of another.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire