Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-09-09, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMay View Post
Anyone can change their name to whatever they wish without any formal action. In this case if it wasn't a formal adoption (and I'm sure they went on!) it's likely the child just assumed whatever name the new parents chose and then you are just shown as 'known as' when you have to do anything official. You would of course have to have your original details to show at some point.
Margaret
Yes, you can change your name to whatever you want to, as long as there's no 'intention to deceive'. I was meaning that the parents/guardians would have to show a legal document - either birth or adoption certificate - in order to claim Child Benefit or to register him at school etc.
Old 01-09-09, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy in Wiltshire View Post
That's correct, Val, you can't order a birth certificate from within the last 50 years from the GRO unless you have the exact date of birth. I don't know if this rule applies at local offices, but seeing that it's to do with identity theft/fraud/etc, I should think it would be the same everywhere.
Yes you can! I have my birth sisters, and my half brothers - knew neither actual DOB, just year & qtr ( and name of course)
Old 01-09-09, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBow View Post
Yes you can! I have my birth sisters, and my half brothers - knew neither actual DOB, just year & qtr ( and name of course)
Yes I got my brother in law's birth cert simply from the GRO ref. and he was adopted at birth but got his birth name.
Margaret
Old 01-09-09, 20:42

I did go to the kensington site and they charge £25 for a cert if you order online ??? does anybody know if you can do it by phone ?? and if so how much they would charge ?? thanks

Vallee
Old 01-09-09, 22:36

You don't have to know the exact date of birth to order a birth cert even if it is within the last 50 years. You just need to know some extra details, such as the parent/s names.

When I ordered my Auntie's b-i-l's birth cert (very complicated family thing I was trying to sort out) I rang the GRO and said, I know who his parents were and they said that was fine. Had to pay slightly more, but the online system needed to put a DoB in but I didn't need the DoB on the phone.
Old 01-09-09, 22:51

vallee

You are on the wrong site!

Go to

www.gro.gov.uk

If you have the reference number, a cert will only cost you £7. £25 is a rip off site.

OC
Old 01-09-09, 22:53
Administrator

The trouble is, she doesn't have the date of birth so she can't order online from the GRO, OC, because it is a "recent" one.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-09-09, 22:58

Can you not just input a DOB that falls in that quarter? Surely the Name, district & Ref will surffice, & the DOB isn't used as a checking ref.
Old 01-09-09, 23:12

thanks for that Tom will ring them tomorrow then and thanks for everyone else's replies
not sure if that would work Jay

Vallee
Old 01-09-09, 23:34

That's interesting to know that you can get a recent birth cert from the local office even though you can't get it online from the GRO, and that you can get one over the phone from the GRO - you learn something new every day

Tags
adoption