Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 07-05-21, 07:06
Administrator

Yes, the Henry who married Maria Adams was born in Preston according to the 1911 census. That's why I asked you if you were sure that was your Henry.

The Henry born in Preston is most likely to be the son of Barton Burrow(s) and Margaret nee Kelly. The marriage cert for this Henry and Maria Adams would probably confirm this. I think this is the birth reg for the Preston Henry:

BURROW, HENRY KELLY
GRO Reference: 1885 J Quarter in PRESTON Volume 08E Page 590

What you need to be doing is looking on Family Search 1911 census for your Henry born in 1887 in Skelmersdale. I have just looked to see if the match I found on Ancestry is easy to find on FS. I will make it easier for you by confirming that his age is spot on at 24 and his birth place is spelled correctly - this is information I didn't need to find him on FS, so that should give you a head start!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-05-21, 07:35

hi ,I've only found a henry Borrows , on 1911 census married toeizabeth born in skelmersdale age 24 on the census . obviously the name is misspelled if that's him as the name burrows isquiteacommon Name ill check marriages now .
Old 07-05-21, 07:45

Hi , Found a marriage that would fit 1908 Elizabeth E Griffiths , and henry burrows Parr and maria adams and henry burrows same year , but married in preston. Most likely the henry at parr is our Henry . what do you think ?
Old 07-05-21, 07:52
Administrator

Yep, that's what I was hoping you would find.

Unfortunately the Parr marriages on Lancs OPC etc only go up to 1906!

One thing you could do that I haven't done enough of is to double check there isn't another birth reg for a Henry Burrows/Borrows/Burrowes etc etc in Ormskirk district or another Henry turning up on the 1891 or 1901 census that could potentially be the person who married Elizabeth Griffiths. This is assuming you are not going to purchase the 1908 Burrows/Grifffiths marriage certificate, which is, of course, what you should be doing!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-05-21, 08:00

I have triedtoxhckforother children on lancashire B.M.D but they don't give a lot of mothers maiden names so it's difficult to see the ones who are born in st. helens , that's iftheyhqd more children ?
Old 07-05-21, 08:03

I checked for a birth of henry yesterday in ormskirk and skelmersdale on parish clerk but could not find him, unless he was baptised somewhere else .
Old 07-05-21, 08:11

there is also a henry Burrows , born windle in 1887 with parents mary and henry . which is not our henry .and windle is part of st. helens . so that could be the henry we have found .married to elizabeth griffith .
Old 07-05-21, 08:14

hi sorry , henry is living with is mum and dad in windle ,so he can't be the one married to elizabeth , as there's no mention. of her on census . but it shows the name is common .
Old 07-05-21, 08:34
Administrator

You need to be looking for variable spelling birth registrations in Ormskirk district on the GRO site (to include mmn). Then work out who the parents are in each case (assuming there is more than one) and eliminate them one by one. If the only one you have left is your Henry then that is promising.

Old 07-05-21, 10:18

sorry for this - just curious - Merry - what was a minder ??

Baptism: 1 Apr 1885 St Thomas, Preston, Lancashire, England
Henry Burrows - [Child] of Barton Burrows & Margaret
Abode: 62 Upper Kent St.
Baptised by: James P. Shepperd Vicar
.................................................. .......................