Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 02-11-15, 23:42

peppie,

AFAIK you need to pay to open your father's household's record, then submit a death certificate to FMP. There should be some sort of option to do so, but I can't say exactly how as I haven't paid anything.

You need a paid FMP subscription to do this, in which case it's free via FMP. If you don't have one, you need to send £25 to TNA, Kew.
Old 03-11-15, 07:20
Administrator

Yes, but the problem is, how can peppie know which is her father's household record since he doesn't come up on a search?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 03-11-15, 07:28
Administrator

I can't remember whether it has been mentioned on this thread that there is now an option to buy 900 credits, enough to view 15 households, for a price of £54.95. The price per household is then almost exactly the same as the price you would pay if you bought 300 credits (5 households) with the 25% subscriber discount. Only problem is the credits now expire after 90 days, although expired credits will be re-credited to your account if you buy more or subscribe within 3 months of expiry.

Old 03-11-15, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by James18 View Post
peppie,

AFAIK you need to pay to open your father's household's record, then submit a death certificate to FMP. There should be some sort of option to do so, but I can't say exactly how as I haven't paid anything.

You need a paid FMP subscription to do this, in which case it's free via FMP. If you don't have one, you need to send £25 to TNA, Kew.
Thanks James I get that but I don't know where he is and as he wasn't married at the time he wont be with his wife and at his age unlikely to be with his foster family anymore - he is hidden somewhere although he died in the 1990's he is coming up as a blank no matter what search tactic I use for him - My MIL died in 1999 but I know shes there as there is an unlock person there with her mother which will be her.

What is interesting is that my GMIL married again in the 1970's if I search for her name as it was in 1939 then she's not there - date of birth yes she is ! put her second married name that she died with then she comes up with her 1939 married name in brackets

This may help people looking for women that married more than once. The list became the basis on the NHS list so names do seem to have been updated on it at some point! (interesting)
Old 03-11-15, 08:08

OK, so I've got my Dad's Death Certificate.

Where do I go now to ask to open his record?

I can see that this is an option once you have identified the household, but I have no idea where my Dad was in 1939, other than that he was somewhere in Leicester.

I am finding this all very emotional and stressful. I shouldn't have to be relying on government records to tell me basic stuff about my own father.
Old 03-11-15, 08:23
Administrator

If you find out the answer, please let us know, AN. You could try emailing FMP's support, but you may have to wait a while to get a reply as they are very busy at the moment.

I would love to submit my mother's cousin's death cert to open up her record, but I don't know where she was living at that date.

Old 03-11-15, 09:31

How do you get the 25% subscriber discount? I have a 12-month world sub, but I haven't received an e-mail.
Old 03-11-15, 09:48

I am still puzzling about the two mystery closed people with my grandparents. I know they took in a couple of evacuees from London but would they have been evacuated that early. I always thought it was after the first bombing raids.
Old 03-11-15, 09:51
Administrator

Have a look here Anne:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/british...cuees_01.shtml

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 03-11-15, 09:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
How do you get the 25% subscriber discount? I have a 12-month world sub, but I haven't received an e-mail.
Email FMP First Support and make sure you specify which country's site you want to use it on (i.e. what currency you want to pay in.) I emailed them and got a code but it gave me an error message when I tried to use it, emailed them again and they said I could only use it on the Australian site. I then asked them for a UK one instead but haven't heard back yet.