Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 06-06-23, 12:43

Default Tragic deaths

I'm doing a tree to establish a DNA match.

Three members of the same family killed in a coal mine.

Inquest:
On the 28th, at Silkstone, on Isaac Hudson snr., Isaac Hudson jnr., and Thomas Hudson (father and two sons) , who were all killed in Messrs. Wilson's Coal Pits there, by the explosion of the fire damp. Verdict: accordingly

I was horrified when I saw the burial register.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...93029957/facts

The two boys were 8 and 11. I expected them to be young men, not children.
Old 06-06-23, 13:01

These things jump out and catch you by the throat, even though you already know about them in general.

I was very upset to see the testimony of a widower who worked in the cotton mills, as did his three children. He described how he had to carry the THREE YEAR OLD home each night because she was too tired to walk after a 14 hour day crawling under the looms to clean away fluff and other debris.

I find it ironic that these abuses still went on after we had as a nation banned the slave trade.

OC
Old 07-06-23, 06:40

"letter of Mary Wills and A Hawkins and J Seales justices of the Peace discharging Mary Wills following a beating by Henry Helmers wife after which Mary Wills returned to her Father. Henry Helmer then took her back and his wife beat her again 1802"

Mary appears to have been aged about twelve, and was a pauper apprentice. We only know this because she ran away.

A friend did work on the pauper children of London who were sent in their droves to mill towns. Separated from their families, with nobody to care what became of them, many didn't reach adulthood.