Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 10-05-20, 15:44

Default WW2 Information

Not sure if this is possible, but if anyone has access to any military data (Fold3 maybe?) please could they look see if there is anything on Basil Last, born 1922, Suffolk, service number 1612849 RAF.

Thank you.
Old 10-05-20, 16:14
Administrator

Searching Fold3 for name Basil Last only comes up with UK Navy Lists - 32, British WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards - 3, UK WW1 Pension Ledgers and Index Cards - 1, WW2 US Air Force Photos - 1, UK Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects - 1.

You can search Fold3 for free.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-05-20, 16:17

How do you do that Kite?

I have ancestry but whenever it takes me there it wants me to pay.
Old 10-05-20, 16:29
Administrator

I went onto Fold3, typed Basil Last into the big search box on the home page and clicked to search, then when it came up with 34,801 results, I chose to filter by name, removed my original search term and put in Basil Last for the actual name in "search by name" and it then showed the 38 matches. It shows which of them are free to view as well.

Hopefully the link below will take you to the screen where you can select to filter / search by name so you don't have to do the first part of what I did:
https://www.fold3.com/search-results

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-05-20, 18:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Searching Fold3 for name Basil Last only comes up with UK Navy Lists - 32, British WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards - 3, UK WW1 Pension Ledgers and Index Cards - 1, WW2 US Air Force Photos - 1, UK Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects - 1.

You can search Fold3 for free.
Thanks for looking, I keep forgetting you can search for free on there. I had a feeling nothing would come up. x
Old 10-05-20, 23:29

You can only get info on a man who served with the RAF, presumably in WW2 or later, by applying for his service records, as they haven't been released yet. However, if you know the Squadron he served with, with dates, Operations Records Books for WW2 are available at the National Archives. They've been digitised, but don't know whether they are part of the current free offer
Old 11-05-20, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by annswabey View Post
You can only get info on a man who served with the RAF, presumably in WW2 or later, by applying for his service records, as they haven't been released yet. However, if you know the Squadron he served with, with dates, Operations Records Books for WW2 are available at the National Archives. They've been digitised, but don't know whether they are part of the current free offer
Thanks for that, I will go have a poke around!