Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-10-19, 18:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If I'm looking at the same PDF, it says that George was christened on 28 Aug 1791 on the convict ship. Was that normal for people who had already been christened in infancy, or does it suggest that he hadn't been christened before that?
That's exactly what I thought, but I was looking at something (!) to do with this George Best and I saw that other people were also baptised on the convict ship (who and where that was, I don't remember now), so I presumed they baptised people to be on the safe side, if perhaps they didn't know if they had been 'done' already.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-10-19, 18:46
Administrator

Hmmm, that's probably not big enough, but when I posted it at the larger size it was absolutely massive!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-10-19, 18:51
Administrator

It's big enough for me. And confirms that he was a labourer.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-10-19, 22:47

I missed the bit where it says he was baptised on the convict ship. The William and Ann was a bad ship to be on, I think there was a higher than normal mortality rate on that ship. It could account for the baptisms. To be sure I suppose, unless those baptised were looking unlikely to survive.

George was a labourer when convicted but he had been a farmer at some point in the past, it's how he was able to be successful in Australia.

The image is larger that what appears in the book I got it from. I'm glad it came out clearly.
Old 08-10-19, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
If I'm looking at the same PDF, it says that George was christened on 28 Aug 1791 on the convict ship. Was that normal for people who had already been christened in infancy, or does it suggest that he hadn't been christened before that?
Can you post the link for that PDF? I'm not sure it is the same one Merry posted.

That date is around the time the ship arrived in Australia so it wasn't for people who may not have survived the voyage, but they may still have been very ill.
Old 09-10-19, 06:47
Administrator

That date is on this pdf:

file:///C:/Users/Sarah/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/Welman%20Notes%20from%20thetreeofus%20(1).pdf

It's the same date the ship arrived.

Old 09-10-19, 07:05
Administrator

You could buy the book for about AU$27 plus postage!

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/978085561...0855610271/plp

The 6th one down is both volumes and the cheapest (I think it's Volume 1 that was quoted as a source in the various GB pdfs). The postage cost is only a lot because I'm looking at it from the UK.

Isn't it available in a library over there?

Old 09-10-19, 08:21

Labourer tends to be regarded as a perjorative term, but could cover a stockman, ploughman etc. Young men would hire themselves out by the year, acquiring various skills. Given the desire and opportunity, I imagine many would be able to run a farm.
Old 09-10-19, 12:04

Merry, that link didn't work but I think I found it. The source is from someone on Genes Reunited, which worries me. Nothing else I looked at today said that so I'd love to know where they got it from. I also read that 7 people died on the William and Ann so I'm not sure why I believe it was such a bad ship. Someone has their facts wrong somewhere.

Merry none of my local libraries have the books. I found a seller that isn't too far away and I'm wondering if I could pick it up and save on postage but finances as tight and I'm debating how important they are.

Phoenix that is true. I do think George had history though. He said himself he was a farmer and I don't think he would have been given the opportunities he was given as quickly as he was given them without the experience.
Old 09-10-19, 15:12
Administrator

This is the link to the PDF that I was looking at:
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...s9DytUG6L2UWHY

I guess it is the same one since the source looks to be GR.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update