Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-10-21, 22:05

I recently transcribed the 1638 will of Dewens Pawlin of Cornwall for Cornwall OPC. The person who requested it had a long discussion with a few of us about the testatrix's name. There are a fair few in Cornwall with the variant spellings Dewns, Dewens, Dewance, Dewins and Dewans.
Old 13-10-21, 22:42

Just watched it on iPlayer, and enjoyed it too. Yes, I knew a lot of the history, but that didn’t spoil it. I thought he was delightful (despite all the ‘Wows’ ) and I suspect he did know quite a bit of the Henry VIII period, and maybe about Elizabeth I, but not in more detail. Greys Court is quite close by, and been there two or three times - the gardens are lovely.
Eat your heart out Danny Dyer!

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 13-10-21, 22:45

Pretty sure my Lettice was earlier than that article but I will have to check.

OC
Old 13-10-21, 23:24

I was just having a look at the Barings, and one thing they didn't mention was that Francis Baring, Charles's brother was the 4x Great Grandfather of Diana Spencer. Josh would have been her 6th cousin once removed.
Old 14-10-21, 03:19

I was able to watch this episode on YouTube and really enjoyed it. I don't know Josh Widdicombe - I thought he seemed quite stunned with some of the revelations.

It was particularly interesting to me because of the Greys Court connection. I used to pass by there every day on my way to school. As far as I remember, Knollys was always pronounced with the 'y' sounding and there is a street (Great Knollys Street) presumably named after the family in Reading. It was also interesting to see St. Nicholas Church as some family relations were baptised there in the 1800s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
Greys Court is a lovely place, I visited with my Mum a few years ago, and unlike a lot of posh homes it feels like a real home. The library was my favourite room of course. There's also a series of gardens and a wisteria walk.
Nell, the first thing I thought of when I read Greys Court was the wisteria; it's beautiful when it's in flower.
Old 14-10-21, 10:54

I would be fascinated to know how they know how a particular name was pronounced, given changes across not merely time but also place, and within society.

I think sometimes you can deduce how your ancestors spoke and pronounced words by the way names were written in the records. During the 17th and early 18th centuries we found quite a few girls baptised with the name "Easter" in OH's tree. It was when Esther began appearing in the later records for same family that we realised that Easter was probably how they pronounced it, at least in Leicestershire at that time. In my own tree I have lots of 19th century Henrys in my London families, some of whom appear in the census as "Enery".You can just hear it being said in a Cockney accent! It made me laugh and reminded me of "Enery Cooper".
Old 14-10-21, 11:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
I would be fascinated to know how they know how a particular name was pronounced, given changes across not merely time but also place, and within society.

I think sometimes you can deduce how your ancestors spoke and pronounced words by the way names were written in the records. During the 17th and early 18th centuries we found quite a few girls baptised with the name "Easter" in OH's tree. It was when Esther began appearing in the later records for same family that we realised that Easter was probably how they pronounced it, at least in Leicestershire at that time. In my own tree I have lots of 19th century Henrys in my London families, some of whom appear in the census as "Enery".You can just hear it being said in a Cockney accent! It made me laugh and reminded me of "Enery Cooper".
I once attended a lecture where I did not recognise my own surname as it was spelled with an O rather than an H
Old 14-10-21, 11:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenoco View Post
As far as I remember, Knollys was always pronounced with the 'y' sounding and there is a street (Great Knollys Street) presumably named after the family in Reading.
Yes that’s right Jennie - I worked there for a while.

I suddenly thought as I was dropping off to sleep … about Amy Robsart and the rumours about her death which didn’t put Lettice off marrying Robert Dudley…. So This morning I read the Wilkpedia article on her…. After Dudley died she married Sir Christopher Blount. The Blount family own Mapledurham House which I’m sure you also know of…. A later Blount married into the Spencer family which would make Josh a (remote) cousin of Diana - Princess of Wales.

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow
Old 14-10-21, 11:39

I was expecting a reference to Amy Robsart when they were at Kenilworth talking about Dudley's efforts to persuade Elizabeth to marry him. As far as I can remember I don't think she was mentioned was she, or, indeed, the fact that Dudley had been married at all before he married Lettice?
Old 14-10-21, 11:43
maggie_4_7

I watched it last night and thought it was good, he's a nice chap isn't he.

I think he was surprised at a lot of it in terms of how it related to his family. a lot of history seems to be taught as mere timelines, names, battles, beheadings and Kings/Queens.

Other than Danny Dyer didn't Boris Johnson have a lot of Royal connections here and in France and Germany?