Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 07-10-21, 08:54

Default 2020 deaths

Does anyone know when the GRO are going to add these?
Old 07-10-21, 09:10
Administrator

No, I don't.

Unfortunately, the GRO seem to think they already have:

Quote:
The GRO online indexes should be used to try and identify the index reference for: birth records from 1837 up to 100 years ago, and 1984 up to the current year; and death records from 1837 to 1957, and 1984 up to the current year in England and Wales.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-10-21, 09:15

Lol!

Last year, we got the 2019 results by about July.

I would like the details for the practical reason of Christmas cards. I didn't receive them from several elderly friends, and expect the worst in a few cases.
Old 07-10-21, 09:42
Administrator

Oooh, that's a sad reason

Also, in my quote above, why does it say (for births) "records from 1837 up to 100 years ago" when they have the online index up to 1934?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-10-21, 11:07

It's always worrying when the strap line is at odds with the contents.

One thing the pandemic prompted me to do was to create (and date) a new address book. My old one is full of long lost colleague friendsand dead relations I can't bear to strike a line through. The first time I wrote my aunt's Christmas card list for her, I found I was not alone and she was in contact with few of a lifetime's worth of friends.
Old 07-10-21, 11:35
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It's always worrying when the strap line is at odds with the contents.

One thing the pandemic prompted me to do was to create (and date) a new address book. My old one is full of long lost colleague friendsand dead relations I can't bear to strike a line through. The first time I wrote my aunt's Christmas card list for her, I found I was not alone and she was in contact with few of a lifetime's worth of friends.
After my mum died I still sent Christmas cards from me to her friends that were still alive (they had known me from a small child) after I had informed them of her death and over the first 5 - 10 years one by one their children began to let me know of their deaths. Same with all my aunts, uncles and cousins until the inevitable conclusion both to the aunts and uncles and a fair few of my cousins
Old 07-10-21, 12:18

I kept up with all my parents' friends and relations, and would send cards with return addresses where I wasn't getting a card back. Where there was family, I usually learnt if someone had died, but increasingly there are those who are alone in the world, or whose relations don't bother to let people know. And today, who would know what connections we have, when it may be through any number of password protected mediums?
Old 07-10-21, 13:29
Administrator

When I intervened at the start of mum's dementia I discovered she had got rid of all her address books and other records of friends etc. Because of this I have never been able to tell anyone about her illness or death, except for her oldest friend who she met at a bus stop in 1940 and one other who gave me a wrong phone number when she moved to Cornwall last year.

Old 07-10-21, 14:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
When I intervened at the start of mum's dementia I discovered she had got rid of all her address books and other records of friends etc. Because of this I have never been able to tell anyone about her illness or death, except for her oldest friend who she met at a bus stop in 1940 and one other who gave me a wrong phone number when she moved to Cornwall last year.
That is so sad, though I do feel that address books can be more of a burden than a blessing as you get older, and I can understand people not wanting to be reminded of past friendships.
Old 12-10-21, 17:41

When I was married, we sent over 300 Xmas cards, many to business contacts but probably nearly 100 personal. I now have 10 people on my "post a card" list and about 15 hand delivered. My address book is nearly 50 years old, most are crossed out now. Depressing.

OC