Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 23-10-19, 08:51

Default Thruline issues

I'm entering a branch at a time, and because I found someone with a definite common ancestor, I linked the latest branch to Ancestry sources for her tree and mine.

After waiting about a week, I discover my 5th great grandfather is called Oldfield, born in 1878 (same sort of age as paternal grandfather's eldest brother!) and linked to some dozen trees.

How?
Old 23-10-19, 11:06
Administrator

Because someone's tree has a mistake in it, I guess.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 24-10-19, 01:06

Thrulines are based on other people's trees so they are only as good as what is out there.

My George Best does not have parents James and Frances but nearly every tree out there has them as his parents so anyone with George in their tree will get them as the parents. I wish we could have a delete option if we don't like the thruline. It says evaluate but we can't do anything once we have.
Old 24-10-19, 08:36

Agreed.

As Ancestry have (temporarily, I hope!) disabled the hide button, I've been looking at some of my common ancestor matches. Pure hocus.
Old 24-10-19, 10:43

My thrulines have a full family tree going back generations for Peter Henry Harrison, which as regular members will know was deposited on this earth from outer space, this Peter Harrison is lists is the one from York who is still in York in 1911 and the elusive one is in Ashby de la Zouch.

I would love to be able to delete it or even hide it but can’t.
Old 24-10-19, 11:15

I even put up a counter tree, Marg for the true entries, but that didn't work.

However, I am pleased to announce that I can now hide matches and the ancestors in my tree are given the correct names (speculative and potential names from other trees, I can understand, but I do expect the John Smith in my tree to be called John Smith, not to be masked by an imposter with a different name, different dates, in a different part of the country.
Old 28-10-19, 10:51

I'm surprised that my results have come already, they were received on the 15th October and arrived today! but how to understand everything with the thrulines will take some time. Am I correct in understanding these thrulines are just like the hints we already got from Ancestry, some good some useless?
Also, I have seen the link to a "cousin" in Australia, 4th–6th Cousin
Shared DNA: 64 cM across 6 segments, we've been in contact for some time, but, I can't see a link to another cousin in Australia who share's the same common ancestor with both of us. She has also done her DNA and should come up the same as above.
Day 1 and I'm totally confused
Old 28-10-19, 13:24

I found a genuine, valid 4th cousin. He shared 6cM dna with me. His daughter does not show up at all.

It is statistically possible - but vanishingly rare - for 1st cousins to share very little DNA with each other. I've found people I've been corresponding with who share DNA with my other tests (aunt, cousin, sib's child) but not with me. (And I have to say, I feel aggrieved - what right have they, not to have more in common with me!)
Old 28-10-19, 15:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham Lady View Post
I'm surprised that my results have come already, they were received on the 15th October and arrived today! but how to understand everything with the thrulines will take some time. Am I correct in understanding these thrulines are just like the hints we already got from Ancestry, some good some useless?
Also, I have seen the link to a "cousin" in Australia, 4th–6th Cousin
Shared DNA: 64 cM across 6 segments, we've been in contact for some time, but, I can't see a link to another cousin in Australia who share's the same common ancestor with both of us. She has also done her DNA and should come up the same as above.
Day 1 and I'm totally confused
Yes, Thrulines need to be checked thoroughly as they could be right or wrong.

The ISOGG Wiki has a table of the chances of shared DNA showing up on the different sites for various degrees of cousinship:
https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

So if the other cousin is more distantly related to you than second cousin, it is quite possible that she doesn't share DNA with you.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 28-10-19, 16:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Yes, Thrulines need to be checked thoroughly as they could be right or wrong.

The ISOGG Wiki has a table of the chances of shared DNA showing up on the different sites for various degrees of cousinship:
https://isogg.org/wiki/Cousin_statistics

So if the other cousin is more distantly related to you than second cousin, it is quite possible that she doesn't share DNA with you.
Thanks Kite, I'll save that link, it looks interesting.
The cousins are both the same distance related to me so it's maybe me not looking properly. J says she's found our link in her results and me to her brother but not her sister ! Mmm, it's obviously not as straight forward as I expected.