Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-08-19, 15:34

Default Dorothy Bibby

Dorothy Bibby aged 6 dies in 1936 in Wales and is buried in Gorton Cemetery in Manchester with my great great aunt and uncle, Pamela Holden and Harry Holden (siblings).

Dorothy Bibby appears to be the only child of Leonard Bibby and Martha Holden, who married in Manchester in 1927.

Martha Bibby nee Holden appears to have died in 1937 aged 35.

I cannot get a handle on Martha Holden, who must surely be a relative - but I have no missing Martha Holdens. Before I send for a marriage cert, can anyone suggest anything else? I was hoping they might be on the 1939 register but of course if Martha died in 1937, she won't be.

OC
Old 13-08-19, 16:04
Administrator

She isn't the Martha Holden who was born in 1901 in Burnley (daughter of Fred) since that one married an Arthur Parker Wilton in 1935.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-08-19, 16:09

Thankyou Kate, that's one crossed off the list!

OC
Old 13-08-19, 16:11
Administrator

And the one born 1900 in Swinton, daughter of William and Martha (nee Nicholls) evidently died before 1911.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...96031600/facts

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 13-08-19, 17:39
Administrator

Did Harry marry someone who already had a child called Martha who took his name? (straw clutching!)

I see the father of your Harry and Pamala is the dreaded boy only a mother could love. It's very sneaky of you to have him on the edge of this thread without telling us.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-08-19, 18:33

Lol Merry! I dare not mention his name in case everyone runs for cover.

No, Harry never married. Family legend says he was a confirmed bachelor, ahem. However, that legend has cropped up elsewhere in my tree and proved to be wrong.

I have developed an extremely speculative theory which, if correct, means Martha is indeed a relative but not a Holden one. Back with the details later.

OC
Old 13-08-19, 19:03

No, the theory doesn't work unfortunately, unless Martha Holden was born in 1907 and not 1902, which doesn't seem likely.

I may have to get the marriage certificate. There must surely be a family connection!

OC
Old 13-08-19, 20:51
Administrator

Where was Martha Bibby buried? Isn't it odd that her daughter appears to buried with relatives, but Martha isn't even in the same cemetery?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-08-19, 21:06

Yes, very odd. Can't find Martha Bibby's burial details. Of course, I may have picked the wrong Martha Bibby death!

OC
Old 13-08-19, 21:53
Administrator

There are other Holden/Bibby marriages, just that the one you picked is good for place. Of course Ms Holden might have been previously married and so the marriage to Mr Bibby could be hidden.

I keep wondering about why Dorothy died in Aled district.

I thought I would look for widower Leonard Bibby in 1939, but there aren't any! There's only one marriage for a Leonard Bibby between 1937 and 1939 and he looks as if he was born in 1910, and was probably on his first marriage. Of course the 'right' Leonard might have been in the military.