Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 14-10-19, 23:05
Administrator

AN, I have edited the Ancestry username out of your post since it could be used to identify the person. But you could PM it to Marg.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-10-19, 11:36

I did think about that, but I figured with an alias and no tree, it would be a long shot, Sorry.
Old 23-10-19, 09:27

I am particularly aggrieved now I have access to Mr Nomad’s results, which are very straightforward. Looking at trees, I can often see instantly where the connection is, and one match has already gone a long way to proving a family story.

*sighs deeply*
Old 23-10-19, 15:55

If it were easy, it would be boring.
Old 24-10-19, 00:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
If it were easy, it would be boring.
True. I'm happy to work at it but I'd like to know it was possible.
Old 14-01-20, 13:20
Administrator

Quote:
However, there is a family in Long Bennington, with the same name. That’s Bill Owen’s family and people used to comment all the time about how similar he and my dad were.
Being way too nosy for my own good, I read the above having seen your recent FB post. Thought I'd look at it seeing as I don't have to go to work until this afternoon. I can't make his line go back to the right county There are quite a few trees on Ancestry that also don't go back to Lincs, but also all have a cracking mistake in the 1840/1850s with a ten-year-old boy getting married.

Was the LB connection a long way before 1837?

Cup of tea and then I'll be gone, so I won't be doing any more prodding!

EDIT - I've just realised, maybe you meant there is a different line coming forward that lived at LB? Anyway, I can't get the line I looked at to reach back to Lincolnshire.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-01-20, 21:10

I am late to join this thread but lately I have doing quite a bit with our family DNA.

We are getting quite a group of DNA on Ancestry, which sometimes help, but often not.

So Dad has three grand-daughters and one nephew as matches, (mine is only on FTDNA). Matches with his grand-daughters vary from 2031 to 1623 cMs and his nephew is at 1980.

There are over 20 "second" and "cousins", many from his paternal line, but I would use those terms very loosely.

Those Ancestry defines as second cousins vary from 472 to 253 cMs, and thirds from 190 to 90 cMs. I know none of them are first cousins to Dad, but the second cousins include first cousins once removed to 2nd cousins once removed. One second cousin shares 253cM and his grand-daughter has 62.

One third cousin once removed shares 84. He has a group of matching rellos who I would never have known about, as they are all in the US, but when his name came up on the matches list, I recognised it from my earlier research and so could fit them all into my tree.

In total, I have marked 90 DNA samples as belonging to my Dad's paternal line - many have family trees but some I still dont know where they fit in, only that they match several others who I do know.

I have been reading about pedigree collapse and endogamy, meaning the marriage of related persons, cousins and such and wonder if that might have happened to you, which might make the DNA matches higher (well, I think so, but I am not entirely sure).

I guess what I am trying to say is dont take the second and third cousins as absolute and look wider afield. Can you trace down from the common marriage and see where the mystery cousins are linked ?

Di