Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 13-11-10, 12:22

I should have thought a retired GP would know whether someone had Downs or not.

OC
Old 13-11-10, 12:28
Administrator

It wouldn't have been Downs if she lived to that sort of age, as she would have been seriously in the record books at over 80, but maybe it's just the old man doesn't now remember what her condition was?

Congrats anyway Stella on finding a new twig and some more information.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-11-10, 12:34
Stella

I doubt it was Downs. I reckon she was probably what would be classed nowadays as Educationally subnormal or something like.
Old 13-11-10, 12:39
maggie_4_7

There are different degrees of Down's Syndrome by the way.
Old 13-11-10, 13:02

Maggie

Yes, there are different degrees of Downs but I very much doubt if anyone considered the degree back then, if you had it you had it and would be tidied away into an institution.

I tend to agree it probably wasn't Downs, as that would have, in those days, probably meant a fairly young death from the associated health problems (which can now be treated with modern medicine of course). I also think Downs would have meant institutionalisation at a very young age back then.

OC
Old 13-11-10, 13:34
Administrator

The oldest known person with Downs died aged 68 a few years ago.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-11-10, 14:42
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Maggie

Yes, there are different degrees of Downs but I very much doubt if anyone considered the degree back then, if you had it you had it and would be tidied away into an institution.

OC
Yes undoubtly but I meant in terms of life expectancy and associated illness including dementia, heart defects etc rather than if they would have been institutionalised most certainly they would have been.

I must tell you a story about some neighbours we had when I was a child. They lived in the flat underneath us. We'll call them Mr and Mrs G they had a fair few children all grown up and married with children but one of their sons Gordon was Down's Syndrome us children used play with him over the swing park on the slide and swings we knew he wasn't right but I had no idea how old he really was or what was realy wrong with him until I was about 10 and my mum explained. Looking back on it when I was in my twenties he looked exactly how DS people would look. He used to go to the shops for his mum with his shopping bag and a note sometimes we went with him to help him. It makes me think I doubt if that would happen now.

I didn't realise until he died how old he was he died when he was 63 years old when I knew him he was in his 30's and lived with his aging parents when they died his younger sister looked after him with her family until his death. He was born in the 1930's but obviously that was because he was well cared for and look after in a family environment all his life which contributed to his life span.

Edit to say: I just realised I knew a girl called Patsy who used to organise the books at the little library on the corner of my road who was also DS she was in her 20's when I was about 5 but I think she died fairly young in her 40's as I recall.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 13-11-10 at 14:53.
Old 13-11-10, 15:39

brilliant Stella its nice to tie up the loose ends

Vallee
Old 13-11-10, 16:08

We have a lady working in a local shop who has Downs. I believe the term is the cringe-making "high functioning". She manages her job very efficiently with minimal supervision and goes to and from home on her own.

Yesterday, on the bus, was another lady with Downs who was with a helper. The lady with Downs was making strange noises and pulling faces (didn't bother me, I pulled some back, much to her delight).

Obviously a world of difference between the two above examples, but a hundred years ago, their appearance alone, not their abilities, would have condemned them to a life in an institution.

OC
Old 14-11-10, 01:40

Great news Stella. I'm glad you know what happened now.

There is a downs girl who works at one of the mcDonald's restaurants in the shopping centre I occassionally go to. She is the hardest working and most dedicated employee they have. She cleans tables and keeps the place tidy. She works full time, as far as I can tell, but wasn't there the last time I was. I was quite upset that she appeared to have gone but my OH walked past the other day and told me she was back.