Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 01-11-09, 10:27

Default Help Identifying Uniform ~ for Muggins in Sussex

Joan has asked me to upload this photo for her ~
following on from her thread

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=1624
Old 01-11-09, 11:26

ahh

forces style uniform but no badges or distinguishing marks. Which I think would agree with muggins suggestion before of a conscientious objector.

Now I remember seeing a programme about them once, and where it was stated ( now I can't remember if it was ww1 or 2 or both) that what often happened was that some of them would be engaged in work which was not fighting, such as helping medics or around food stores etc. It's my guess that this is where we should be looking.

Now if I could remember the name of the programme, it might be on BBCi player.
Old 01-11-09, 11:42
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppie View Post
ahh

forces style uniform but no badges or distinguishing marks. Which I think would agree with muggins suggestion before of a conscientious objector.

Now I remember seeing a programme about them once, and where it was stated ( now I can't remember if it was ww1 or 2 or both) that what often happened was that some of them would be engaged in work which was not fighting, such as helping medics or around food stores etc. It's my guess that this is where we should be looking.

Now if I could remember the name of the programme, it might be on BBCi player.
It was on last week narrator and presenter Ian Hislop its called 'Not Forgotten.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...kes-a-man.html

it all starts at

http://www.throng.co.nz/documentary/...ious-objectors

Edit to say: I'm not sure that is the case with this person in uniform perhaps but not necessarily so depends who it is and when.

My uncle Jimmy who was an invalid during WWII (he only had one good leg after an accident when he was a child) worked in the NAAFI stores in various camps (Aldershot and then Mildenhall) and he worked with a lot of conscientious objectors.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 01-11-09 at 12:00.
Old 01-11-09, 12:27
Muggins in Sussex

Thank you for editing and posting the photo, Rachel

And thank you for your replies, Peppie and Maggie - I wish I'd seen the Ian Hislop programme (I can't get Maggie's 2nd link to work )

The person in the photo appeared before a tribunal in October 1939 and was registered as a conscientious objector and exempted from military service.

He spent the war living in Jersey and was there until at least May 1945 when the island was liberated.

The next I know of him is in 1948 when this photo was taken, and he is described as "stationed at Lubeck, Schleswig Holstein"
Old 01-11-09, 13:16
maggie_4_7

There was talk in the program that I saw that conscientious objectors were imprisoned but at some point some were taken abroad to see the war close at hand and also taken abroad and imprisoned in close proximity to the war. The ones that refused to do anything that is. There were some that refused to fight but served as medics and other personnel and many of them died doing that. But that was WWI.

The program I saw 'Not Forgotten' was very good it gave every angle and was well narrated by Ian Hislop.

Perhaps that was his finale to be in Germany to see the results of WWII I don't know.

But thinking of Jersey when it was liberated perhaps he was then transported to Europe because it was liberated country and everyone would have been thought of as suspicious.

I can't see him living in the Channel Islands or being imprisoned there for long it was invaded by the Nazis and many people of those islands were transported to the concentration camps of Nazi Germany.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 01-11-09 at 13:21.
Old 01-11-09, 13:34
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Joan has asked me to upload this photo for her ~
following on from her thread

http://genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum...ead.php?t=1624
I have no idea about the uniform but yes it hasn't any badges or distinguishing marks. But I have seen a photos of my Uncle Johnny who fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a Tank Commander and his uniform looks about the same as does my father's who fought in Holland after D Day.

But wherever that photo was taken it looks like a church door.
Old 01-11-09, 13:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
T
The person in the photo appeared before a tribunal in October 1939 and was registered as a conscientious objector and exempted from military service.

He spent the war living in Jersey and was there until at least May 1945 when the island was liberated.
Ok Jerseys occupation began in June/July 1940 six months after this exemption.
do we know if he was fully exempted? Only about 3,000 were another 7,000 were given non military work to do and the rest were sent off

Was he in Lubeck as part of the Berlin Airlift?
I've just found this
http://myrafdaysandafter.co.uk/id19.htm
Old 01-11-09, 13:59

Isn't the dress called battle fatigues - everyday soldier's wear in other words.

As a CO, he was possibly sent to help with the repatriation and general clean up after the war.

OC
Old 01-11-09, 14:11
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Isn't the dress called battle fatigues - everyday soldier's wear in other words.

OC
Yep you're right so difficult to work out regiment but yes everyday wear.
Old 01-11-09, 14:14

Lubeck was one of the cities attacked by bomber Harris, So much in need of a heling hand after WW2.

Have a look on that website I posted Joan, the man has a shed load of photos on it with some who are they? As we can't see a face you may recognise it in one of the photos