Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One Great-Grandparent

Old 18-11-12, 10:17
tenterfieldjulie

Default Sarah Smith, nee Ware, Tenterfield FFM

Name: Sarah Smith nee Ware
Date and place of birth: 6th January 1841 Waterside, Chesham , Buckinghamshire, England
Names of parents: David Ware and Sarah Alice Climpson (With her parents and brother and sister, they sailed to Australia in 1848 on the “Emperor”. ) Date and place of baptism: 11th Jul 1841 in Chesham Bois, Buckinghamshire, England
Marriage: Church of England 6th October 1861 “Moleville” Grafton
Military service: N/A
Addresses: Waterside, Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England; “Moleville” Grafton, NSW;
“Cheviot Hills South”, Rocky River, Via Fairfield/Drake, NSW; “Merton Villa” Tenterfield, NSW
Date, place and cause of death: 2 June 1906 aged 65 years Tenterfield
Date and place of burial : Old CE Row J Lot 12, Tenterfield
Details of will: Not sure if I have –Have extensive obit
Memorial inscription: black marble plinth and pillar/obelisk –
(Unfortunately Sarah’s name is covered with green litchen and unreadable – it is on one side of pillar – husband Merton is on other side – you’d think it was him on both sides)

IN LOVING ++MEMORY OF
SARAH SMITH
BELOVED WIFE OF MERTON SMITH
DIED 2ND JUNE 1906
AGED 65 YEARS

JUST AS I AM WITHOUT ONE PLEA,
BUT THAT THY BLOOD WAS SHED FOR ME,
AND THAT THOU BIDDEST ME COME TO THEE.
O LAMB OF GOD, I COME, I COME.

Children: 14 – 2 died as babies, 2 before maturity. (Family Stories says that she rode side saddle through rough terrain with small children on ponies to Grafton to have the first 8 babies, one of the reasons why the farm was bought on the outskirts of Tenterfield for the births of the last 6 children) Adela Mary 1862, Henrietta Sarah 1863, George Ernest 1864, Merton Andrew David 1866, Emmeline Eliza 1868, Isabel Lucy Emma 1869, William Harry 1871, Elizabeth Mignonette (Eveline Lisette) 1872, Ernest Charles Ware 1874, Walter Harold Driver 1875, Leonard Hubert Lionel 1878, Edgar Cecil John 1880, Adrian Stuart 1882, Raymond Stanley 1884