Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 23-04-22, 13:33
Administrator

So was Smith his alias, or was there a mix-up between his surname and his civilian occupation, I wonder.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-04-22, 14:04

Both William and Charlotte could write. I wonder whether she got a copy of the death certificate, or just a formal letter to advise her of her husband's death?

It's so frustrating that you can't find a service record. Would he have needed to present a marriage certificate at that time? If so, the military should have known his real name, and if the death certificate were in the wrong name, Charlotte could not have used it were it necessary to demonstrate her widowed status.
Old 23-04-22, 23:39

What is still interesting is that I can't find him at all on the 1861 or 1871 Census.

Also, although he was in the 'Military Train' at time of marriage, I can't determine when he enlisted. I contacted Ann Swabey about research, but the cost would be too much given the possibility of success.

Not sure if there are any other threads I can follow...
Old 24-04-22, 07:56

There's a book entitled "In Search of the Folorn Hope". It's a reference book, detailing where the army was.

It's a colossal work, hopefully available in reference libraries, which might indicate where he was - at least in 1871.
Old 24-04-22, 10:02
Administrator

I don't now how comprehensive it is, but I looked at the British Army, Worldwide Index 1861 and 1871 on FMP, restricting my search firstly by Army Service Corps and secondly by Military Train. Both brought up a lot of matches, but no William Bridges and a lot of William Smiths! The nearest I found was a William Smith in the 1871 list who gave Cheltenham as his birthplace. Original trade was brushmaker and army details: Army Service Corps, Private, service number 760. I would assume it's unlikely this is your William, but I thought I should post it in any case. I had noticed William and his family were living in Cheltenham in 1841, so there's a chance your William might have said he was born there, whether he actually thought he was or not!

I wasn't able to turn up any other connected record using the service number alone.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-04-22, 11:21

Thanks again, everyone. I'm happy to suggest the death in Portsmouth is him. However, his baptism is shown at Chedworth in July, 1834 - so he could have 42 (or more?) and while his service records should have his correct age, perhaps those reporting the death had no real idea.

I notice the book Forlorn Hope is in our State library in Sydney and i can get there in the coming weeks.
Old 24-04-22, 14:27
Administrator

Quote:
his service records should have his correct age
Any age on his service record will only be from what he told them when he joined up!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 24-04-22, 21:26

Forlorn Hope is not necessarily fully accurate