Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 19-05-22, 09:36
Administrator

I really shouldn't attempt several things at once - I didn't take in the fact that the Madras Courier is on FMP and that you said that in your post, Elizabeth!!

*sigh*... time to go to Tesco.....

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-05-22, 21:32

Many thanks to all. Now I need to find out what the date and departure port in 1809 was for "Mrs Hayes, - Misses Charlotte Hunter, and Eliza Stewart, and Master John Stewart". What is sad is that Charlotte was being (or had already been) removed from her mother Seraphina who was with her new lover - Slessor!
Old 20-05-22, 08:50
Administrator

Quote:
Now I need to find out what the date and departure port in 1809 was
Assuming the ship travelled from Calcutta to Madras, then to Ceylon and then to the Cape of Good Hope, in previous posts we have the newspaper of the time stating the WH sailed from Madras on 13 Oct reaching the Cape about Christmas Day and the Wikipedia page saying she arrived at Madras 24 Sept (no leaving date) and reached the Cape 16 Dec. So they can't both be right!

The Wki page got their information from here:

https://searcharchives.bl.uk/primo_l...&submit=search

I would have expected that to be more accurate than what was published in Britsh Newspapers at the time, but without seeing the document it's impossible to know how easy it was to follow accurately.

In post #103 you quoted the newspaper as stating, "1809 • Ceylon to UK" but there is no mention of Ceylon in the Madras Courier 20 Sept 1809. I wondered if they actually travelled from Madras?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 20-05-22, 10:15
Administrator

This page is very interesting :

http://www.heicshipslogs.co.uk/logs/h009.htm

Note there were five HEICS ships named Warren Hasting and some were sailing at the same time, so if you want to learn more about the ship your people sailed on, you will need to be clear about which one she was!

This page:

http://www.heicshipslogs.co.uk/encounter.htm#wooo

has further info about WH 2 and 3.

Old 26-05-22, 20:52

Many thanks to you all! The remaining question is where did Charlotte go between her father's death in 1806 and her emigration to UK in 1809? If Seraphina was a Portuguese Catholic she was probably estranged from her Donclere family so doubtful she was with them. Possibly taken in by a family in the 19th Regiment? Or she may have gone with Seraphina to Calcutta and been taken in by Mrs Bridget Watson (mentioned in Seraphina's will as "at this time residing under the protection of Mordaunt Ricketts Esqr HC) when Seraphina moved with Slessor to Kishanganj. Charlotte's departure port might help?
Old 28-05-22, 03:42

My best guess is that Charlotte was four when her father died so I think Seraphina took her with her to Calcutta but, when she met Slessor and moved to Kishanganj, she left her in Calcutta with perhaps Mordaunt Ricketts and Bridget Watson to wait until she was seven so she could take a free passage under the supervision of Mrs Hayes (probably a destitute widow returning to UK) and the two Stewart children (probably orphans). Army regulations don't change very fast and I too remember being sent, aged seven, in a troopship from UK to New Zealand. It was full of returning soldiers, POWs, destitute immigrants and refugee camp survivors. My mother and younger siblings were in a cabin but, as I was just seven, I had to sleep in a bunk bed in the mens' dormitory in the bilges with the other men and boys seven or more. I loved it! Naturally, given where many of the passengers came from, we had lots of sickness on board and were in quarantine the whole trip. Me and my buddies liked the burials at sea the best!
Old 29-05-22, 20:34

Still confusion over Dunbar Hunter's death date. Find a Grave says 1803 but his records continue until 1806!
Old 29-05-22, 20:52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaquiere Talbot View Post
Still confusion over Dunbar Hunter's death date. Find a Grave says 1803 but his records continue until 1806!
I saw the 1803 date here:

https://ia600900.us.archive.org/32/i...4007648516.pdf

(page 414)

but it seems they were only compiling this record from looking at a (possibly) worn gravestone! Which records continued?

Old 29-05-22, 21:19
Administrator

Oh, it did say underneath the grave details:

He was gazetted Lieutenant-Colonel " by purchase," February 9, 1804, after his death.

Old 30-05-22, 08:51
Administrator

Here is a contemporary report of his death (from FMP newspaper images):

Salisbury and Winchester Journal 07 May 1804

In September last, at Trincomalee, in the island of Ceylon, Lieut. Col. Dunbar James Hunter, of the 19th regiment of foot.

The same snippet appears in:

04 May 1804 - Star (London) - London, London, England

Oracle and the Daily Advertiser 02 May 1804

General Evening Post 03 May 1804

Those last two have the additional info: "grandson to the late Robert Hunter, Professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh."

Whilst looking, I also saw:

03 March 1823 - Star (London) - London, London, England

Feb. 8, at Edinburgh, Miss Hunter, daughter of the late R. Hunter Esq., Professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh.

Her burial record is on ScotlandsPeople:

HUNTER JEAN, parent/other details ROBERT HUNTER, aged 85, F, buried 17/02/1823, Parish No. 685/1 Ref 990 371, Parish Edinburgh

Also:

The Scots Magazine 03 May 1779

27 (May) At Edinburgh, in an advanced age, Mr Robert Hunter, professor of Greek in the university of Edinburgh.

Clearly there is something amiss with the date of that last entry. There was no date of publication on the image. The previous page just showed May 1779 and had entries for 31 May included. Page 1 of the publication shows May 1779, so I can't imagine where FMP got their date from? Perhaps the magazine was printed 3 June?

Anyway, ScotlandsPeople has this burial:

HUNTER ROBERT, aged 77, M buried 29/05/1779, Parish No. 685/1, Ref 970 205, Parish Edinburgh

FindaGrave has the burial place as Greyfriars Kirkyard.

Robert seems to have been appointed in 1741:

The Scots Magazine 06 November 1741

Preferments

Mr Robert Hunter, Professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh.

and:

Caledonian Mercury 10 December 1741

EDINBURGH, Dec. 10

Yesterday Mr Robert Hunter was elected Professor of Greek in the University of Edinburgh.